Houston Dynamo Tops DC United to Advances to MLS Cup Final
Houston Dynamo's Cinderella campaign continues as Oscar Boniek García slotted in a goal in the first half while their defense stood firm up the final minute to eliminate D.C United with a 1-1 deadlock Sunday at the jam-packed RFK Stadium.
Houston Dynamo defeated D.C United 4-2 on aggregate to advance into the MLS CUP finals against the reigning champ Los Angeles Galaxy.
The fifth-seeded Dynamo completed a stunning upset over highly-favored D.C United, leaning on a 33rd minute goal from Garcia and a staunched defense.
Coming off a 3-1 victory in the first leg of the Eastern Conference finals, the Dynamo came into the match brimming with confidence. Houston needed only to limit D.C United to at least a goal for them to book their place in the finals.
Apparently, Houston was defensive all night as the quartet of Corey Ashe, Kofi Sarkodie, Bobby Boswell and Jermaine Taylor did a masterful job preventing the United from pushing the ball inside the box.
Dynamo goaltender Tally Hall recorded five saves before allowing Branko Boskovic to score the game equalizer in the 83rd minute.
However, Boskovic's tally proved not enough to turn things around as D.C United saw their MLS Cup aspirations dashed away.
The Dynamo landed the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference but their determination catapulted them to victory against the Chicago Fire 2-1 in the wildcard game, no.1 seed Sporting Kansas City 2-1 in the Conference semis, and against the no.2 seed D.C United.
After a month of struggle, Dynamo will have a chance to fight for the MLS Cup trophy against the Los Angeles Galaxy, who held on to a 4-2 aggregate win over the Seattle Saunders FC.
- Manchester United Scores Three Goals in Nine Minutes, Downs QPR
- QPR Fires Mark Hughes, Hires Harry Redknapp as New Skipper
- Former Player Elliott Backs Chelsea Sacking of Di Matteo
- Real Madrid Boots Manchester City Out of Champions League
- Rap Star Snoop Lion Plans to Invest in Glasgow Celtic
- Galaxy - Dynamo arrange MLS Cup final clash
- Houston Dynamo Tops DC United to Advances to MLS Cup Final
- Manchester City Blanks Aston Villa, Grabs Premier League Top Spot
- Twitter Attracts Investments for Spanish Soccer Club Real Oviedo
- Barcelona's Lionel Messi Named Top La Liga Player
- US Soccer Coach Klinsmann Picks Altidore, 19 Others for Friendly
- Dynamo Heats Up in Second Half Tops DC United
- Dzeko 87th-minute Goal Lifts Manchester City Past Tottenham
- Javier Hernandez Sparks Manchester United Past Aston Villa
- Victor Bernardez Free Kick Carries Quakes Past Galaxy
- Own Goals Send Red Bulls-United Showdown to 1-1 Draw
- Van Persie Delivers as Manchester United Takes Top Spot
- Goalkeepers Shine as Real Salt Lake and Seattle Battle to Scoreless Tie
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved