31 Yard Field Goal Lifts Giants Over Niners in OT
NFL Playoffs: NFC Championship
San Francisco, CA
The New York Giants are headed for a rematch of a recent Super Bowl when they take on the New England Patriots in two weeks.
Lawrence Tynes secured the Giants place with a 31 yard field goal in overtime to lift New York over the San Francisco 49ers 20-17 Sunday in the NFC title game.
The 49ers special teams, superb all season long, set up the Giants win as Kyle Williams fumbled a punt return and the Giants' Devon Thomas recovered well within striking distance of a field goal. Jacquian Williams stripped the ball from Kyle Williams on a terrific play.
New York, which upset the Pats four years ago, ran the ball effectively, led by bruising back Ahmad Bradshaw, and set up Tynes for a fairly comfortable kick to hand the 49ers their first home loss of the season.
Eli Manning, harassed throughout by the 49ers bruising offense, put up a team playoff record 58 passes, completing 32 of them for 316 yards and two scores. Manning had no interceptions in a truly gritty effort, hitting Victor Cruz 10 times for 142 yards, mostly in the opening half.
Vernon Davis hauled in a 73-yard touchdown grab midway through the first quarter for a 7-0 Niners lead in the thrilling contest.
Manning and the Giants answered early in the second quarter to tie it at 7-7 as Bear Pascoe grabbed a six-yard scoring strike.
The Giants went up 10-7 on a Lawrence Tynes 31 yard field goal with five seconds left in the half.
The Alex Smith to Davis combination struck again in the third quarter as the receiver scored on a 28-connection with the quarterback, giving the 49ers a 14-10 lead.
Smith finished 12 of 26 for 196 yards and two scores.
Mario Manningham made his first catch of the game count for the Giants in the fourth quarter, grabbing a 17-yard TD catch to put the Giants back up 17-14.
David Akers set up the overtime session with a 25-yard field goal with 5:39 remaining in regulation to tie the game at 17-17.
- Tynes Time: 31 Yard Field Goal Lifts Giants Over Niners in OT
- Patriots Survive: Advance to Super Bowl with Win Over Ravens
- Joe Paterno Dead at 85
- Fantastic Four Ready for AFC and NFC Championships
- Eli Manning Brilliant: Giants Oust Top-Seeded Packers
- Flacco Lifts Ravens Past Mistake-Prone Texans
- Alex Smith Launches Game-Winning Strike, 49ers Edge Saints
- Jets Legend Joe Namath Stumped On Sparano Hiring
- Final Eight Take Center Stage In Divisional Playoffs
- Wild Card Weekend: A Look Back
- Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in Overtime
- Giants Too Much for Falcons, Move On to Face Packers
- Foster's Two TDs Power Texans Past Bengals
- Drew Brees, Saints Tame Lions
- Raiders Dismiss Head Coach Hue Jackson
- LaDainian Tomlinson 'Contemplating' Retirement
- Robert Griffin III Headed to NFL
- Colts Set Sights on Andrew Luck as No. 1 in NFL Draft
- Star Running Back LaMichael James Leaving Oregon for NFL
- Oklahoma's Landry Jones, Wisconsin's Ball Return For Senior Campaigns
- Browns Seek Playmaker at Number 4
- Cleveland Browns Need Plenty of Help in Rugged AFC North
- Chiefs Plan to Keep Romeo Crennel as Head Coach
- Parcells Heads Up Potential NFL Hall of Fame List
- Playoff Records, Facts, Figures and Milestones
- Regular Season Records and Milestones
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: What to Look For
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
- NFL Football Firings
- Chicago Bears Dismiss GM After Poor Finish
Copyright 2012, iHaveNet.com