Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
The Buffalo Bills have hired Doug Marrone as their new head coach, hoping he could duplicate his accomplishments during a four-year stint at Syracuse.
According to team sources, the Bills and Marrone have agreed in principle on a four-year deal. The team is expected to introduce him in a news conference.
The Bills picked Marrone over more experienced candidates, including former Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and ex-Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, who both carried their teams to the Super Bowl.
In his first head coaching job, Marrone led the Orange to a 25-25 record during his four-year run with the team that went 10-37 and had gone seven straight seasons without a winning record before he took over.
In 2009, Marrone went 4-8 before posting records of 8-5, 4-7 and 8-5. Syracuse won the Pinstripe Bowl over Kansas State in 2010 and over West Virginia last week.
Marrone will face a new challenge with a Bills team that has not had a winning record since 2004 and has missed the playoffs for a seemingly endless 13 straight seasons.
He has seven years of NFL experience under his belt. Marrone spent 2006-08 as the Saints' offensive coordinator under coach Sean Payton and worked as the Jets' offensive line coach from 2002-05 for coach Herm Edwards.
Marrone's hiring was welcomed by fellow coaches and football analysts, saying the Bills made a good decision in hiring him.
"That's a great hire by the Bills because he brings together that pedigree that is popular now: a substantial pro background with that mix of college," former head coach and NFL Network analyst Brian Billick said.
"I think he's certainly someone the players will respond to, and I think he's ready," Payton told the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
"He's a detail guy," Edwards said. "He's very organized. He understands the importance of fundamentals and technique. He will stress that. He will make sure the assistant coaches teach that."
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet.com