Stephen Gostkowski converted a field goal from 48-yards out as the New England Patriots took a 29-26 overtime win over the New York Jets, 29-26, Sunday at Gillette Stadium.
New England captured its third victory in four games and the top spot of the AFC East standings despite blowing a big lead in the fourth quarter.
Rob Ninkovich forced a Mark Sanchez fumble and recovered it to seal the Pats win.
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady covered 259 yards on 26-for-42 passing with two TDs, including a two-yard pass to tight end Rob Gronkowski that gave the home team a 23-13 lead at the end of the third quarter.
But the Jets stormed back emphatically in the fourth quarter as Mark Sanchez found Dustin Keller for a 7-yard TD pass and Nick Folk converted two more field goals to give them a 26-23 lead with 1:37 left on the clock.
However, the Patriots desperate drive covered enough yardage for Gostkowski to kick the game-tying field goal at the end of regulation.
The Pats kicker sealed his heroic feat by kicking in the game-winning field goal at the 11:02 mark of overtime.
Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez covered 328 yards on 28-for-41 passing with one TD and one interception.
New England improved to 4-2 while the Jets dropped to 3-4.
FOXSports.com on the Patriots and Jets
- Josh Freeman and Doug Martin Carry Bucs Past Vikings
- Tim Tebow Voted Most Overrated Player in the NFL
- NFL 2012 Week 8 Preview: Great Games and Close Finishes
- NFL 2012 Week 8 Preview: What To Look For
- NFC Rookies Making Their Mark
- AFC Rookies Reaching New Heights
- Warren Moon Questions Criticism of Cam Newton
- Ahmad Bradshaw Explains Argument with Tom Coughlin
- Chiefs Drop Cassel as Starting Quarterback, Promote Quinn
- Brandon Marshall and Robbie Gould Key Bears Win Over Lions
- Chris Rainey Lifts Injury-Depleted Steelers Past Bengals
- Stephen Gostkowski Boots Game-Winner as Patriots Top Jets
- To Tebow or Not to Tebow?
- Panthers Fire GM Marty Hurney; Carolina Off to 1-5 Start
- Luck Runs for 2 TDs as Colts Edge Browns
- Goodell Taps Ex-NFL Commish Tagliabue for Bounty Program Case
- 'Tebowing' Gets Trademarked
- Alex Smith and David Akers Lead 49ers Past Seahawks
- Tim Tebow Could Take Running Back Post vs Patriots
- NFL 2012 Week 7 Preview: Close Games Highlight Competitive NFL
- NFL 2012 Week 7 Preview: Best Record Up For Grabs in AFC
- Down to the Wire: Fantastic Finishes Highlight 2012 NFL Season
- What to Look For -- Week 7
- Beyoncé to Perform During Pepsi Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show
- NFL will Play Two Games in United Kingdom in 2013
- Broncos Rebound from 24-Point Deficit to Down Chargers
- Frustration Leads Eagles to Bicker Among Themselves
- Rodgers Six Scoring Strikes Help Packers Hand Texans First Loss
- Robert Griffin III Leads Redskins Past Vikings
- Browns Tame Bengals, Snap 11-Game Losing Streak
- NFL Suspends Bucs Cornerback Talib Four Games for Adderall Use
- Word War Between Coaches Heats Up 49ers - Giants Clash
- Niners Corner Rogers Drops Salsa Act To Respect Cruz Grandma
- Turnaround Teams Abound as NFL 2012 Enters Week 6
- Chicago Bears Defense Off to Historic Start
- Year Two: The Second Time Around
- Browns Linebacker Fujita Criticizes Goodell for 'Abuse of Power'
- The Week That Was -- NFL 2012 Week 5
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved