Florham Park, NJ
New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said he could play backup quarterback Tim Tebow as running back when they face the New England Patriots Sunday.
"That's a possibility," Ryan said during a press conference. "The thing about Tim, with him being a football player like we've always talked about, by playing quarterback he knows all the positions and so, can you plug him in at running back? Can you plug him in at tight end, whatever? I think the answer is yes."
Ryan's running back options are thin due to injuries to reserve rushers Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight, who did not practice for the second straight day. Powell injured his shoulder while McKnight hurt his ankle in Sunday's win over the Colts.
Tebow has 64 rushing yards this season but almost all came from a Wildcat formation after a direct snap.
"I would be ready for whatever I would be asked to do, absolutely," said Tebow, who has gained muscle mass over the offseason to help block in his new role with the punt-protection team.
"(Tebow is) not going to be a blazer compared to other running backs, but he's got power," Ryan said.
According to sources, the Jets did not sign a running back despite being thin at the position due to Tebow's ability to play as one.
The Jets have brought in quarterback Kevin O'Connell for a visit and physical Tuesday, further fueling speculation that Tebow will be used in a non-quarterback role.
Shonn Greene, the team's starting running back, had 161 rushing yards against the Colts Sunday, a career high in his fourth season with the Jets.
GEICO SportsNite covers Tim Tebow at running back
Jets Game Plan talks about the Patriots offense
Who wins the Patriots-Jets game?
- Josh Freeman and Doug Martin Carry Bucs Past Vikings
- Tim Tebow Voted Most Overrated Player in the NFL
- NFL 2012 Week 8 Preview: Great Games and Close Finishes
- NFL 2012 Week 8 Preview: What To Look For
- NFC Rookies Making Their Mark
- AFC Rookies Reaching New Heights
- Warren Moon Questions Criticism of Cam Newton
- Ahmad Bradshaw Explains Argument with Tom Coughlin
- Chiefs Drop Cassel as Starting Quarterback, Promote Quinn
- Brandon Marshall and Robbie Gould Key Bears Win Over Lions
- Chris Rainey Lifts Injury-Depleted Steelers Past Bengals
- Stephen Gostkowski Boots Game-Winner as Patriots Top Jets
- To Tebow or Not to Tebow?
- Panthers Fire GM Marty Hurney; Carolina Off to 1-5 Start
- Luck Runs for 2 TDs as Colts Edge Browns
- Goodell Taps Ex-NFL Commish Tagliabue for Bounty Program Case
- 'Tebowing' Gets Trademarked
- Alex Smith and David Akers Lead 49ers Past Seahawks
- Tim Tebow Could Take Running Back Post vs Patriots
- NFL 2012 Week 7 Preview: Close Games Highlight Competitive NFL
- NFL 2012 Week 7 Preview: Best Record Up For Grabs in AFC
- Down to the Wire: Fantastic Finishes Highlight 2012 NFL Season
- What to Look For -- Week 7
- Beyoncé to Perform During Pepsi Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show
- NFL will Play Two Games in United Kingdom in 2013
- Broncos Rebound from 24-Point Deficit to Down Chargers
- Frustration Leads Eagles to Bicker Among Themselves
- Rodgers Six Scoring Strikes Help Packers Hand Texans First Loss
- Robert Griffin III Leads Redskins Past Vikings
- Browns Tame Bengals, Snap 11-Game Losing Streak
- NFL Suspends Bucs Cornerback Talib Four Games for Adderall Use
- Word War Between Coaches Heats Up 49ers - Giants Clash
- Niners Corner Rogers Drops Salsa Act To Respect Cruz Grandma
- Turnaround Teams Abound as NFL 2012 Enters Week 6
- Chicago Bears Defense Off to Historic Start
- Year Two: The Second Time Around
- Browns Linebacker Fujita Criticizes Goodell for 'Abuse of Power'
- The Week That Was -- NFL 2012 Week 5
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved