San Francisco, CA
San Francisco 49ers cornerback Carlos Rogers will be dropping the salsa dance in his repertoire of on-field celebratory moves out of respect for New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz's grandmother who passed away recently.
"I'm not gonna do it," said Rogers after being told that Cruz' salsa dance was a tribute to his grandmother Lucy Molina who died at age 77. Molina taught Cruz how to salsa when he was young.
"That's a tribute to his grandmother. Once (I heard) that, I threw that out the door," added Rogers, who imitated the dance after intercepting an Eli Manning pass intended for Cruz in San Francisco 's 27-20 victory over New York last season. "It's definitely out."
"Yeah, that's fine," Cruz said when asked if he was glad that Rogers wouldn't be mimicking his salsa dance. In his book "Out of the Blue" Cruz wrote that he would not forget Rogers ' imitation last year.
In an earlier interview, Cruz reiterated that he would be insulted if Rogers dances the salsa during Sunday's encounter.
"It's just something that I do for my grandmother," Cruz said. "It's something that's sacred to me, it's something that's due to her passing. Before she passed away, it was something dear to me.
"Why I do it is for her because she told me she loved it so much, and she taught me how to do it and all of that put together. Knowing that, it's just a little slap in the face," he added.
Rogers earlier said that he respects Cruz, but possibly would do the dance again if he made a play on the Giants' wide receiver.
"I like the dance, actually," Rogers said. "I really can't do it as good as him but if I make a play or get an interception on him in my mind, just do his dance."
- Broncos Rebound from 24-Point Deficit to Down Chargers
- Frustration Leads Eagles to Bicker Among Themselves
- Rodgers Six Scoring Strikes Help Packers Hand Texans First Loss
- Robert Griffin III Leads Redskins Past Vikings
- Browns Tame Bengals, Snap 11-Game Losing Streak
- NFL Suspends Bucs Cornerback Talib Four Games for Adderall Use
- Word War Between Coaches Heats Up 49ers - Giants Clash
- Niners Corner Rogers Drops Salsa Act To Respect Cruz Grandma
- Turnaround Teams Abound as NFL 2012 Enters Week 6
- Chicago Bears Defense Off to Historic Start
- Year Two: The Second Time Around
- Browns Linebacker Fujita Criticizes Goodell for 'Abuse of Power'
- The Week That Was -- NFL 2012 Week 5
- Arian Foster Stars as Texans Beat Jets
- Drew Brees Breaks Unitas' Record as Saints Clinch First Win
- Patriots Use Running Game to Beat Broncos
- Eli Manning, Ahmad Bradshaw Lead Giants Past Browns
- Sam Bradford Throws Pair of TD Passes as Rams Topple Cardinals
- NFL 2012 Week 5: NFL Season Enters Second Quarter
- Broncos-Patriots Clash Features All-Time QB Greats
- 47 and Counting: Brees Can Pass Unitas on Sunday Night
- Mark Sanchez Confident He'll Remain Jets Starting QB
- What To Look For -- Week 5
- Canadian Bettor Bags $725,274 from Seahawks Controversial Win
- Packers Coach Mike McCarthy Contacts Replacement Referee
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet