Dolphins Release Veteran QB David Garrard
The Dolphins settled their quarterback situation when Miami released veteran backup David Garrard, who is still healing from a knee injury.
The move was made one day after Garrard returned to practice from the injury that hampered his entire preseason.
Garrard took to Twitter to confirm, stating "To all the dolphins fans thx for ur support! Best of luck to all my teammates. Thx for making me feel at home!! Phins up!!"
Despite missing all of last year with a back injury, the former Jackson Jaguars Pro Bowler Garrard was the early front-runner at the start of training camp in the Miami's quarterback competition, which also featured last year's Dolphins starter Matt Moore and rookie first-round draft choice Ryan Tannehill.
All that changed when the long-time Jaguars starter Garrard had to undergo arthroscopic surgery in early August, which not only caused him to miss all four preseason games, but also caused his fall to fourth in Miami's QB list.
If Garrard, who served as the Jaguars' starting quarterback from 2007 to 2010 after being picked by Jacksonville in the 2002 NFL Draft, successfully came back from his latest injury, there was a good chance he could have bested Tannehill for starting spot.
Apart from his health issue, the age factor was obviously taking its toll on the 34-year-old Garrard, and the Dolphins have obviously set their sights on the future with rookie Tannehill.
There is also the financial risk in keeping Garrard. The Dolphins would to guarantee his contract in the event they stuck with him.
Garrard was slated to return by Week 1 or 2.
Al Irby, Garrard's agent indicated his client's health at 90 percent, but conceded the player could need up to another 10 days to fully recover, the Miami Herald reported.
Garrard was cut by Jacksonville prior to the 2011 season and sat out the entire campaign. He underwent back surgery in 2011.
Garrard agreed to terms with Miami on a one-year contract on March 19, 2012.
Garrard threw for 16,003 yards and 89 TDs against 54 interceptions while rushing for 1,746 yards and 17 scores in 86 career games - all with the Jaguars.
As a result, the Dolphins would go ahead with Tannehill as their starter, Moore as the backup and Pat Devlin as the emergency quarterback.
Also, Miami lineman Artis Hicks was placed on the injured reserve list with a serious neck injury, while the team re-signed guard Ray Feinga.
- Forbes Magazine Values Dallas Cowboys at $2.1B
- NFL 2012 Week 1: Giants vs Cowboys Preview
- Dolphins Release Veteran QB David Garrard
- NFL 2012 Week 1 Preview - Back to Football!
- NFL 2012 Quarterback Update
- AFC QBs Take to Primetime on Kickoff Weekend
- NFC East Rivals Meet in Wednesday Night Kickoff
- Bears Urlacher to Return Against Colts
- NFC East Preview
- NFC West Preview
- NFC South Preview
- NFC North Preview
- Dolphins Acquire Wideout Anthony Armstrong Off Waivers
- Running Back Jones-Drew Ends Holdout, Reports to Jaguars
- Patriots Acquire Receiver Greg Salas from Rams
- Replacements Ready: Talks Between NFL and Refs Collapse
- Super Bowl Champions Giants Not Among Those Favored to Win
- AFC East Preview
- AFC South Preview
- AFC West Preview
- AFC North Preview
- Jaguars Not Trading Running Back Jones-Drew
- Giants Linebacker Kiwanuka Gets Back at Cowboys Owner Jones
- NFL Players Union: Replacement Refs Jeopardize Safety
- Patriots Tight End Aaron Hernandez Agrees to Five-Year Extension
- Time's Up for T.O. - Seahawks Cut Veteran Wideout
- Big Ben Chimes In: Roethlisberger Blames FieldTurf for DeCastro's injury
- Giants and Cowboys Kick Off NFL 2012 Season
- Giants Rising
- The Empire State Strikes Back
- Patriots Look to Continue Winning Tradition
- NFL 2012 Kickoff Weekend Streaks
- NFL 2012 Strength of Schedule
- What To Look for in 2012
- Quarterback Success
- Pack Man: MVP Aaron Rodgers Leads Packers
- Eli Manning: Elite Quarterback
- Tom Brady: Tom Terrific
- Peyton Manning: Pey Day
- Cool Brees: Saints QB Drew Brees
- Young Quarterbacks on The Rise
- Running Backs: Good Things Come in Pairs
- Double Trouble Running Backs!
- Top Superlative? Run the Ball!
- Steven Jackson: Action Jackson
- Darren Sproles: Mister Versatility
- Devin Hester: Thank Devin
- NFL Tight Ends On The Rise
- Charles Woodson: Charles In Charge
- Rookies Excelled in 2011
- NFL Receivers Making a Splash
- Many Happy Kickoff Returns
- Big Play Excitement
- Clutch Performering Quarterbacks
- On Target Receivers
- Yards After The Catch
- Receivers Moving The Chains
- NFL Rules: A Constant Evolution
- New NFL Rules for 2012
- Modified Sudden Death Overtime
- NFL 2012 Headline Games
- NFL Player Offseason Moves: Same Faces, New Places
- New Orleans Hosts Its 10th Super Bowl
- Total Miles to Travel in 2012
- The NFL on TV in 2012
- NFL On The Go and Online in 2012
- NFL Anniversaries
- The 1932 NFL Indoor Championship
- 1967 NFL Championship: The 'Ice Bowl'
- The 'Immaculate Reception'
- 1972 Dolphins: The Perfect Season
- Pro Football is America's Favorite Sport By Far
- Top-Selling NFL Player Jerseys
- NFL Ratchets Up The Excitement
- The NFL is So Unpredictable
- From Worst to First in the NFL
- NFL Division Titles Up for Grabs
- Exciting Comebacks Highlighted NFL 2011 Season
- NFL Overtime Excitement
- Sustained Success
- Best NFL Records: Past 10 Years
- Football's Popularity in High School Keeps Growings
- Andrew Luck Throws 2 TD Passes in Pre-Season Debut
- Brian Urlacher: I'll Be Ready For Season Opener vs Colts
- Cowboys Not Interested in Plaxico Burress
- Justin Tuck Sacks Clay Matthews Comments
- Still Fighting: Jousting Jets Draw Coach Rex Ryan's Ire
- Tom Brady Leading Patriots by Example
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet