Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
NFL 2012 Regular Season
Baton Rouge, LA
Former LSU star cornerback Tyrann Mathieu announced his intention to enter the 2013 NFL draft.
Mathieu, aalso known as "Honey Badger", was dismissed from the program prior to the season due to what coach Les Miles calls a violation of team rules.
But published statements by Miles,athletic director Joe Alleva and associate athletic director for NCAA compliance Bo Bahnsen said Mathieu was permanently out of the program and referenced the school's substance abuse policy.
Mathieu at first considered playing in the 2012 season for a lower division school, where he would have been eligible immediately as opposed to having to sit out a yearif he transferred to an upper level school. But he was disappointed in his trip to lower division McNeese State in Lake Charles.
He then asked LSU coaches if he could return to LSU for the 2013 season.
However, he was arrested for marijuana possession on Oct. 25 three other former LSU football players.
Mathieu is a Heisman Trophy finalist in 2011 for his uncanny, instinctual ability to cause and recover turnovers while also a dangerous kick returner. He is only 5-foot-8 and 175 pounds but makes up for his lack of size with tremendous ball anticipation and big play instincts.
Had Mathieu not entered the draft, his future as a student was in question anyway because of Rule 8.2 in the student handbook concerning non-academic misconduct. A student can be expelled if he or she is"the subject of a (law enforcement) agency arrest, including being charged with a misdemeanor offense," the handbook says.
Tyrann Mathieu is headed to the 2013 NFL draft
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved