Ex-Lions Lineman Lomas Brown Regrets Intentionally Missed Block
Former Detroit Lions offensive lineman Lomas Brown has expressed regret for admitting that he intentionally missed a block decades ago because of frustration with quarterback Scott Mitchell's poor play when they were teammates in 1994.
"I regret it happened," said Brown, who spent the first 11 seasons of his career with Detroit, starting in 163 games for the Lions from 1985 to 1995. "Did I regret it happened then? No, I didn't regret it happened then."
"For my 18-year career, they say you average probably about 1,000 plays or so per (season). So I know I've played well over 18,000 plays, excluding practice, in this league. It's one play out of the 18,000 that I regret," he added.
Brown was referring to the play that happened Nov. 6, 1994, during Mitchell's first season with the Lions. Mitchell suffered a broken finger on his passing hand when Packers defensive end Sean Jones hit him on the play.
The Lions fell to 4-5 with the 27-24 loss to the Packers that day but won five of their final seven games to make the playoffs.
"That was 1994, and I was extremely frustrated with the situation that was going on," added Brown, currently an NFL analyst for ESPN. "I didn't try to get the guy hurt, but that's what ended up happening."
Mitchell, however, has publicly criticized Brown, saying he was floored by his former teammate's revelation.
I had Lomas in my home. I fed him dinner. I gave him and other offensive linemen gifts. I'm dumbfounded that he would do such a thing. I mean, people get hurt playing this game," said Mitchell, who missed the rest of the 1994 season due to that injury.
Despite Mitchell's reaction, Brown stated that he plans to reach out to the former quarterback.
"I expected Scott to react that way," Brown said. "That's the way he should have reacted. I don't blame him for reacting that way. But Scott knows a lot of things that went on, too, in Detroit. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I probably would have reacted that way, too. I know I would have reacted that way, probably a little worse than that."
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
- Rookies Carry Redskins Over Cowboys to NFC East Title
- Josh Freeman Guides Buccaneers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Titans Set NFL Record for Touchdown Returns in Win Over Jaguars
- Jets to Dismiss Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano
- Browns to Fire Shurmur, Heckert after Steelers Showdown
- Sean Payton Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Saints
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Denies Report He Would Welcome Firing
- All on the Line in Final Weekend of 2012 NFL Regular Season
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 17
- What to Look For: NFL 2012 Week 17
- Ravens Safety Ed Reed Escapes Suspension, Draws $55K Fine
- Grounded Jet: Critics Dampen Tim Tebow's Christmas
- Ex-Lions Lineman Lomas Brown Regrets Intentionally Missed Block
- Nine 49ers, Eight Texans Selected to Pro Bowl
- Coach Tom Coughlin Wants Giants to Play with Pride
- Debate: NFL 2012 Biggest Disappointments
- Michael Vick Seeks Win, Not Audition, in Upcoming Start
- Jets Start Search for New GM as Mike Tannenbaum on Way Out
- Foles Suffers Broken Hand, Michael Vick to Start Anew for Eagles
- Russell Wilson Throws Four TD Passes, Seahawks Clinch Playoff Spot
- Peyton Manning Throws Three TD Strikes, Broncos Blast Browns
- RG3 Returns, Leads Redskins to Brink of NFC East Title
- Tim Tebow to Join Jacksonville Jaguars Next Season
- Matt Ryan's Four TDs Help Falcons Clinch NFC's Top Seed
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com