Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
The Philadelphia Eagles have fired head coach Andy Reid after 14 seasons.
Reid joined the Eagles in 1999 and turned the franchise around. He guided Philadelphia to the playoffs nine times, including a Super Bowl appearance after the 2004 season. He leaves with a franchise-record 140 victories, which ranks 22nd in NFL history.
"Andy Reid won the most games of any head coach in Eagles history and he is someone I respect greatly and will remain friends with for many years to come," Eagles chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie said. "But, it is time for the Eagles to move in a new direction. Coach Reid leaves us with a winning tradition that we can build upon. And we are very excited about the future."
After an 8-8 campaign in 2011, Lurie said over the offseason that changes would be made if the Eagles didn't reach the playoffs this season. Philadelphia started the season 3-1 but stumbled home and ended the season wiuth an embarrassing 42-7 loss to the New York Giants.
University of Oregon coach Chip Kelly is expected to be among candidates the Eagles pursue.
"The search for the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles will begin immediately," said Lurie.
What went wrong for Eagles and Reid in 2012?
Team owner Jeffrey Lurie says, "it is time for the Eagles to move in a new direction."
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
- Rookies Carry Redskins Over Cowboys to NFC East Title
- Josh Freeman Guides Buccaneers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Titans Set NFL Record for Touchdown Returns in Win Over Jaguars
- Jets to Dismiss Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano
- Browns to Fire Shurmur, Heckert after Steelers Showdown
- Sean Payton Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Saints
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Denies Report He Would Welcome Firing
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet.com