Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
San Diego, CA
After failing to carry the team to the playoffs for a third consecutive season, the San Diego Chargers have fired head coach Norv Turner and general manager AJ Smith.
"I thank A.J. and Norv for the determination and integrity they brought to the Chargers each and every day," Chargers president Dean Spanos said in a statement.
"Both Norv and A.J. are consummate NFL professionals, and they understand that in this league the bottom-line is winning," he added.
In explaining his decision, Spanos said his "only goal is the Super Bowl and that is why I have decided to move in a new direction with both our head coach and general manager positions."
He added that the team is committed to their "great fans" and will do whatever it possibly can to achieve the goal of winning the Super Bowl.
After replacing Marty Schottenheimer, Turner had initial success with the Chargers (7-9), leading the team to the AFC Championship game but lost to the New England Patriots.
However, that was the farthest that San Diego would advance under Turner after he failed to replace key players who left for free agency or injury.
Turner compounded the problem by taking players in the draft who never lived up to expectations, like wide receiver Buster Davis (2007), outside linebacker Larry English (2009) and running back Ryan Mathews (2010).
Turner finished his tenure with San Diego with a 56-40 record. He also had head coaching stints with Washington and Oakland.
The Chargers were reportedly looking at player personnel director Jimmy Raye to replace Smith, who became San Diego's general manager in 2003 following the death of John Butler.
The Chargers won five AFC West titles under Smith's watch and posted an overall record of 94-58 including the postseason.
Black Monday Bummer
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
- Rookies Carry Redskins Over Cowboys to NFC East Title
- Josh Freeman Guides Buccaneers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Titans Set NFL Record for Touchdown Returns in Win Over Jaguars
- Jets to Dismiss Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano
- Browns to Fire Shurmur, Heckert after Steelers Showdown
- Sean Payton Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Saints
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Denies Report He Would Welcome Firing
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet.com