Chris Johnson, Jake Locker Star as Titans Dash Jets Playoff Hopes
Chris Johnson and quarterback Jake Locker rushed for a touchdown apiece as the Tennessee Titans eliminated the New York Jets from playoff contention with a 14-10 victory in Monday Night Football at LP Field.
Johnson tallied the longest scoring run in the NFL since 2006 with a 94-yard dash and Locker scored the go-ahead touchdown in the third as the Titans clinched their fifth win in 14 games and dashed the Jets' playoff hopes.
"That's obviously a devastating loss. Out of the playoffs, it hurts beyond belief," said Jets coach Rex Ryan. "I think the thing that really hurts the most is that we really have no one to blame but ourselves."
Locker completed 13 of 22 passes for 149 yards, while Johnson finished with 122 yards on 21 carries (5.8 average) with a franchise-long 94-yard touchdown for the Titans while having the names of the victims of Friday's shootings in Connecticut written on his cleats.
Johnson's 94-yard touchdown is his sixth 80+ yard scoring run of his career and third this season, which are the most and tied for the most, respectively, in NFL history. Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders is the only other player with three such runs in one season (1997).
Cornerback Jason McCourty and safety Michael Griffin had two interceptions each while linebacker Tim Shaw had nine tackles for the Titans.
Sanchez hit 13 of 28 passes for 131 yards and a touchdown to tight end Jeff Cumberland but threw four interceptions and committed a fumble. Cumberland had 53 yards on four catches and running back Shonn Greene tallied 68 yards on 16 carries.
The Jets took a 3-0 lead in the first period with a 22-yard field goal from Nick Folk but the Titans responded in the second quarter with Johnson's long touchdown run for a 7-3 lead.
In the third, Sanchez found Cumberland for a 17-yard touchdown pass but Locker took matters into his own hands, rushing 13 yards for the go-ahead touchdown run.
The Jets had a chance to steal the win with 5:20 left in the game but Sanchez's pass to Cumberland was intercepted by Griffin.
"We knew it was a huge game for us and to turn it over five times," Ryan said. "You get the ball on the 25-yard line with a chance to win it at the end and then to turn it over again. Obviously it's extremely disappointing to say the least."
Before kickoff, a moment of silence was held for the 26 victims of the shootings Friday in Newtown, Connecticut. The gunman also killed his mother in her home before committing suicide.
Jets Post Game Live: Jets fall to Titans, 14-10
- Foles Suffers Broken Hand, Michael Vick to Start Anew for Eagles
- Russell Wilson Throws Four TD Passes, Seahawks Clinch Playoff Spot
- Peyton Manning Throws Three TD Strikes, Broncos Blast Browns
- RG3 Returns, Leads Redskins to Brink of NFC East Title
- Tim Tebow to Join Jacksonville Jaguars Next Season
- Matt Ryan's Four TDs Help Falcons Clinch NFC's Top Seed
- Mark Sanchez to be Jets Number 2 QB vs. Chargers
- Quarterback Returns: Redskins to Start RGIII vs Eagles
- NFL Docks Falcons Safety Chris Hope $30K Fine for Hard Hit
- NFL Fines Niners Safety Dashon Goldson $21K for Illegal Hit
- Tim Tebow Did a Good Job, Says Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Bills Stay in Buffalo with 10-year Lease Deal
- Colts Eye Christmas Eve Return for Coach Chuck Pagano
- Drew Brees Expects Sean Payton to Continue Coaching Saints
- Bills Center Eric Wood Despises Rogers Centre Series
- Former Ohio State Back Maurice Clarett a Changed Man
- Giants' Victor Cruz Pays Tribue to Newtown Casulty's Memory
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- NFL 2012 Week 16 Preview: Giants vs Raven
- NFL 2012 Week 16 Preview: Bengals vs Steelers
- NFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks to Go
- Momentum Key for Teams Heading to Postseason
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios For Week 16
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Benches Sanchez, McElroy to Start vs Chargers
- The Week That Was: NFL 2012 Week 15
- Robert Griffin III Overtakes Favre in NFL Jersey Sales
- Browns Rookie Rusher Frustrated Over Limited Touches vs Redskins
- Chris Johnson, Jake Locker Star as Titans Dash Jets Playoff Hopes
- Redskins' Fletcher Claims Browns Security Assaulted Family Members
- Seahawks Coach Carroll Sorry About Fake Punt vs Bills
- Colin Kaepernick Outplays Tom Brady as 49ers Book Playoff Berth
- Kirk Cousins Shines in First QB Start as Redskins Blast Browns
- Andy Dalton Shines as Bengals Beat Eagles
- Playoff Races Heat Up as 24 Teams in Contention for Trip to Super Bowl XLVII
- AFC Playoff Push Intensifies
- NFC Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Three Weeks
- NFL 2012 Week 15 Preview: Packers vs Bears
- NFL 2012 Week 15 Preview: Broncos vs Ravens
- NFL 2012 Week 15 Preview: 49ers vs Patriots
- Giants Back Ahmad Bradshaw Uncertain vs Falcons Due to Knee Woes
- Steelers Suspend RB Rashard Mendenhall for Absence
- Suspended Saints Coach Sean Payton May Return Before Super Bowl
- Tagliabue Overturns Ban on Players Involved in Saints Bounty Scandal
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com