Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
Tom Brady tossed for 298 yards and four touchdowns as the New England Patriots snapped the Houston Texans' six-game winning streak, 42-14, in Monday Night Football at Gillette Stadium.
Brady completed 21 of 35 passes and issued two touchdown heaves to tight end Aaron Hernandez and one each to wide receivers Brandon Lloyd and Donte Stallworth to help the Patriots to their 10th win in 13 outings.
The quarterback has now led the Patriots to a 10-win season 10 times in his career to tie Brett Favre for second place all-time, behind Peyton Manning (12). Brady accomplished the feat in 2001, 2003-07, and 2009-12.
Also, New England has reached at least 10 regular-season wins for 10 consecutive seasons, joining San Francisco (16) as the only teams in NFL history to accomplish the feat.
At the same time, coach Bill Belichick extended his NFL record streak by coaching the Patriots to 10 straight seasons with 10 wins or more. Last year, he became the first coach in NFL history with nine straight seasons with at least 10 victories.
"The players really did a heck of a job tonight, all the way across the board. We got good contributions from all three phases. I thought those guys really tried to play the game the way we need to play it," Belichick said.
Belichick got 72 yards on 18 carries from sophomore running back Stevan Ridley, 89 yards on seven carries from Lloyd and 63 yards on one catch from Hernandez.
The Patriots defense also limited the Texans to 4-for-14 conversion on third down and had 61 total tackles.
Matt Schaub completed 19 of 32 passes for 232 yards and no touchdown while running back Arian Foster and backup quarterback TJ Yates delivered a touchdown each for the Texans, who tasted their first road loss and dropped to 11-2.
In the first period, Brady hit Hernandez with a seven-yard touchdown pass and added another passing score to Lloyd for a 14-0 advantage.
Brady made it 21-0 in the second quarter with a four-yard scoring pass to Hernandez. He posted his fourth touchdown pass to Stallworth in the third period for a commanding 28-0 cushion.
Foster then closed the third period with a one-yard touchdown run to put the Texans on the board before the start of the final period.
Lloyd recovered a fumble by Brady in the endzone to give the Patriots a 35-7 lead before
Ridley completed the rout with a 14-yard touchdown run.
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com