Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent was arrested for intoxication manslaughter and booked on a second-degree felony charge in connection with a car accident that killed teammate Jerry Brown.
According to Irving police, Brent was driving his car "at a high rate of speed" with Brown as passenger around 2:21 a.m. when he hit the outside curb on Route 114, causing the vehicle to flip at least once.
Brown, a linebacker who was signed to the practice squad in October, was unresponsive on the scene and transferred to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police said Brent failed field sobriety tests and underwent a mandatory blood draw at a nearby hospital. He was being held without bail.
"We are deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown," Cowboys team owner Jerry Jones said. "At this time, our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry's family and all of those who knew him and loved him."
"It's sad. Very sad. It's tragic for everybody," Cowboys VP Stephen Jones told USA TODAY Sports.
Brent and Brown were close friends as they both played at Illinois. Their careers overlapped from 2007-09 under former coach Ron Zook.
While in college, Brent pled guilty to a DUI charge in 2009 stemming from an arrest. He was sentenced to 60 days in jail, 200 hours of community service and two years probation. Brent was also ordered to attend a victim's impact panel.
The 24-year-old Brent is a former supplemental draft selection who has started five games this season in place of injured starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff. Brent was scheduled to start this Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals.
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com