Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
Kansas City, MO
Kansas City Chiefs running back Peyton Hillis has shrugged off accusations by former teammate, Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas, that he was not injured and simply angling for a new contract last season.
"It's kind of like a crazy ex-girlfriend," Hillis said of Thomas. "It's been over a year. Get over it. I guess when you get paid over $100 million dollars by one team, it's kind of easy to point the finger at other guys and try to hate on them for trying to get another contract."
The word war between former teammates is expected to provide some spice when the two out-of-it-all teams collide Sunday in Cleveland.
After a breakthrough season in 2010, Hillis gained just 587 yards last year and missed six games with injuries.
This led Thomas to hit Hillis, saying he wasn't really injured but just angling for a new contract.
"You think strep throat and I don't know whatever else injuries he had should keep you out of an NFL game? Or several?" Thomas said. "All I know is (center) Alex Mack had appendicitis. His appendix blew up and he played."
"Hillis decided that his contract was more important than coming out and playing and helping his team win, and it left us without a running back," he added.
The Chiefs signed Hillis to a one-year contract in March reportedly worth $3 million while the Browns recently inked Thomas to an eight-year, $92 million contract last year.
"I think it was better for both sides," Thomas said. "At that point, the situation with him here was toxic. He didn't want to be here, and players didn't want him here, and it's better just for a fresh start at that point."
This season, Hillis missed three games because of a high ankle sprain and is just third on the team with 193 rushing yards.
Despite his struggles, Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said he has no problem with his running back.
"He's been good ever since he's been here," Crennel said. "I have no problems with him. He does everything I ask him to do. He's been productive on the field other than the times he's been injured, when we didn't have him on the field."
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com