Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
Florham Park, NJ
After fueling the Jets home crowd fire for decades, New York Jets superfan Ed Anzalone, better known as "Fireman Ed", has decided to retire the character that made him famous in the sporting world.
A Jets fan since 1975, the 53-year-old Fireman Ed popularized the cheer that's known around the NFL: "J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!"
" I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes," Anzalone said.
Anzalone explained that decision to retire the fireman getup had nothing to do with the Jets' 4-7 season.
In a guest column for Metro New York, Fireman Ed said that confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, forcing him to retire.
Anzalone said that his loyalty to embattled starting quarterback Mark Sanchez was the cause of the confrontations.
"The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy," Anzalone said in his column. "The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year, and that fans think I am on the payroll -- which is an outright lie -- have made these confrontations more frequent."
"Whether it's in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis," he added.
Fireman Ed, however, clarified that he will continue to root for the Jets and attend games, just not in his usual outfit.
Fireman Ed created a controversy when he left MetLife Stadium at halftime of the Jets' 49-19 loss to rival New England Patriots and deleted his Twitter account.
Anzalone also revealed that he left early during the previous home game, a 30-9 loss to the Miami Dolphins.
Fireman Ed used to wear No. 42 (Bruce Harper's old jersey), but he switched to Sanchez's number in a show of support as the quarterback's father is a retired firefighter just like him.
The New York Jets may have just hit rock bottom with their longtime, unofficial mascot Fireman Ed quitting. The diehard fan known for wearing his fireman hat and leading the crowd to the J-E-T_S chant says he was catching too much heat from fellow fans who believed he was part of the team's organization and responsible for the poor play
Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved