Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
Defensive end Jason Babin admitted he was caught by surprise after receiving news that he was released by the Philadelphia Eagles, who are currently mired in a seven-game losing streak.
"Anytime your cell phone rings and it says Andy Reid, you know it's not good," Babin said.
However, Babin said he readily accepted his fate, saying that no player was untouchable and citing quarterback Peyton Manning's case as example when he was released by the Indianapolis Colts.
"In the game of football, you can never be too sure of anything," Babin said.
Babin's release came after the team had earlier placed starting receiver DeSean Jackson on injured reserve with fractured ribs.
"We appreciate everything that Jason has given this team over the last couple of years. We wish him all the best as he continues his career," coach Andy Reid said in a statement.
"By releasing him today, this gives us an opportunity to give more playing time to some of the younger guys in the defensive line rotation," Reid added.
The 32-year-old Babin had a career-best 18 sacks for the Eagles last season after re-signing with the team as a free agent two offseasons ago with a five-year, $28 million contract. He had 5.5 sacks this season.
Babin, for his part, is confident that he will find a new team.
"I like to win, I like to compete and I like to sack the quarterback. I imagine there's a team out there looking for that," Babin said.
The Eagles fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo on Oct. 16, but Philadelphia has actually performed worse under new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles. The Eagles have allowed more than 30 points in four of the five games since Castillo's firing.
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved