Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
NFL 2012 Regular Season
Rookie quarterback Andrew Luck hit Donnie Avery with a 14-yard touchdown pass as time expired as the Indianapolis Colts bounced back from a 12-point deficit en route to a 35-33 win over the Detroit Lions Sunday at Ford Field.
Down 33-28 with 67 seconds left, Luck led the Colts' 11-play, 75-yard drive capped by a short pass to Avery, who ran 11 yards untouched for the game-winning score.
With their sixth win in seven games, the Colts improved to 8-4, second in the AFC South and first in the conference's wild-card race.
Luck completed 24 of 54 passes for 391 yards and four touchdowns. By leading the Colts to their eighth win, he became the winningest rookie quarterback drafted No. 1 overall in the Super Bowl era.
He also has a chance to break the rookie passing yards record with four games left. He's third all-time with 3,596 yards. Standing in his way are Peyton Manning, the quarterback he replaced, with 3,739 and Carolina Panthers' Cam Newton (4,051).
Avery hauled in two of Luck's touchdown passes, finishing with 91 yards on five catches while LaVon Brazill and tight end Coby Fleener were the recipients of the other two.
Running back Vic Balliard tallied 41 yards on nine carries and accounted for the team's fifth touchdown.
Matthew Stafford hit 27 of 46 passes for 313 yards and two touchdowns while wide receiver Calvin Johnson grabbed 13 catches for 171 yards and a score for the Lions, who slipped to 4-8 after losing four straight.
The Lions grabbed a 33-21 lead in the fourth quarter as their defense kept the Colts at bay for much of the second half.
However, Luck found his touch, hitting wide receiver LaVon Brazill for a 42-yard touchdown pass to cut the deficit to 33-28, with 2:39 remaining.
After forcing the Lions to punt in the ensuing play, the Colts took over at their own 25-yard line and started the game-winning drive.
On the third play of the drive, wide receiver Reggie Wayne hauled in a critical 26-yard catch in traffic and Luck followed that with a 16-yard scramble two plays later.
Following an incompletion, tight end Dwayne Allen hauled in a 10-yard reception that set up the game-winning play.
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved