Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
Quarterback Cam Newton grabbed the spotlight in his first Monday Night Football appearance, throwing two touchdown heaves and running for two more as the Carolina Panthers clinched a 30-22 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Center.
Newton completed 18 of 28 passes for 308 yards and led the rushing corps with 52 yards on 14 carries as the Panthers (3-11) ended a two-game losing streak.
Wide receiver Brandon LaFell tallied 74 yards on three catches and fellow wideout Louis Murphy added 65 yards on two catches as the Panthers' receivers outplayed their Eagles' counterparts.
Rookie Nick Foles, who started in place of injured Michael Vick, finished 16-for-21 for 119 yards with no touchdown pass for the Eagles (3-8), who slipped to their seventh straight loss.
The Eagles relied heavily on neophyte rusher Bryce Brown for offense. He rushed for 178 yards on 19 carries and two touchdowns, becoming the fourth rookie to achieve the feat under the MNF lights.
Philadelphia started the game with a 36-yard field goal from Alex Henery before Newton delivered a 24-yard touchdown pass to Gary Barnidge to take the lead.
Newton then completed his second touchdown pass of the game, a 43-yard throw to LaFell for a 14-3 advantage.
The Eagles dominated the second period, with Henery booting two field goals from 41 and 45 yards and Brown adding a 65-yard scoring run, to take a 15-14 advantage.
In the third period, Newton delivered a short scoring run for a 21-15 lead but Brown answered with a five-yard dash to the end zone to give the Eagles a 22-21 advantage heading into the fourth period.
Graham Gano buried a 23-yard field goal and Newton ran for a two-yard touchdown run for a 30-22 advantage.
The Panthers then recovered a fumble by Brandon Boykin on the ensuing kick return to secure the victory.
- 49ers Suspend Brandon Jacobs for Remainder of Season
- Tom Brady Throws Four Scoring Strikes as Patriots Rout Texans
- Ravens Can Coordinator Cam Cameron, Promote Jim Caldwell
- Cowboys Owner, Tackle Ratliff Have Heated Confrontation
- Linebacker's Death Puts Spotlight on NFL Drug, Alcohol Problem
- Packers Tame Lions, Close in on NFC North Title
- Rookies Propel Browns to Rout of Chiefs
- Cam Newton Carries Panthers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Cowboys Brent Charged with Manslaughter in Teammate Jerry Brown's death
- Browns Special Teamers Reject Plan to Eliminate Kickoff
- Cardinals Deck Dockett with $200,000 Fine
- Ailing Giants: Nicks and Phillips doubtful against Saints
- Chiefs Running Back Hillis Shrugs Off Comment by Ex-Browns Teammate
- Manning and Moreno Lead Broncos to Eighth Straight Victory
- Vikings Greenway Backtracks After Calling for 'Super-Duper Drunk' Fans
- Quarterback for Now: Sanchez to Start for Jets vs Jaguars
- Injured Linebacker Suggs Game-Time Decision for Ravens
- With Four Games Remaining, NFL Enters Final Quarter
- Final Quarter Starts with AFC Playoffs in Sight
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 14
- Bears Linebacker Urlacher Out Three Games with Hamstring Strain
- Eagles Tab Foles as Starting QB for Rest of Season
- Bob Costas Draws Criticism for Halftime Gun Control Commentary
- Police Say Belcher Legally Owned Gun Used in Murder-Suicide
- RG3 Carries Redskins Past Giants, NFC East Race Tightens
- Rookies Dazzle in Browns Win Over Raiders
- Tony Romo's Three TD Strikes Help Cowboys Down Eagles
- Andrew Luck's Last-Second Scoring Strike Lifts Colts Past Lions
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Return December 16 vs Broncos
- Bryant's Crucial Field Goals Lift Falcons Over Saints
- Former LSU Star Tyrann Mathieu Enters 2013 NFL Draft
- RGIII Tops NFL Jersey Sales List After Strong Sales Week
- Playoff Races Intensify as NFL Enters Final Month
- NFL 2012 Week 13 Preview: Seahawks vs Bears
- Atlanta Falcons Host the New Orleans Saints
- Eagles QB Michael Vick to Wear Special Skull Cap
- AFC Playoff Picture Taking Shape
- NFC Playoff Races in Full Swing
- Sacked: Eagles Release Defensive End Jason Babin
- Jets Superfan 'Fireman Ed' Retires from Role
- Cam Newton Stars as Panthers Ground Eagles
- Eli Manning Throws Three Scoring Strikes as Giants Crush Packers
- Trent Richardson Carries Browns Over Steelers
- Tom Brady Leads Patriots to Easy Win over Jets
- Jets Quarterback Tim Tebow Playing with Fractured Ribs
- RG3 throws Four Scoring Strikes, Redskins Topple Cowboys
- Graham OT Field Goal Helps Texans Escape Lions
- Giants Safety Kenny Phillips Wins Appeal on Fine
- NFL to Revise In-Season Part of Challenge Rule
- Balance on Offense Leads to Success for Texans
- Peyton Manning Finding Comfort in Denver
- Ex-Bears Great Mike Ditka Calls Minor Stroke 'No Big Deal'
- NFL Retirement Board Claims Sport Caused Brain Injuries of 3 Players
- Glazer's Edge: Give Tebow a shot
- Boomer Esiason 'Not a Fan' of Tim Tebow
- Blame NFL for QB concussions
- Roger Goodell Says Football will Evolve
- The End of Football as We Know It?
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved