49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
Santa Clara, CA
The San Francisco 49ers are possibly replacing kicker David Akers and have parted with running back Brandon Jacobs.
Akers' career-worst regular season has prompted the 49ers to consider an alternative kicker for the playoffs.
Coach Jim Harbaugh said that while Akers remains to be the team's kicker, he might get to compete for his job against anyone the 49ers might sign.
Veteran free agent Billy Cundiff, who auditioned with the 49ers on Nov. 27, has been told to expect a follow-up tryout. Former Carolina Panthers kicker Justin Medlock is also under consideration, the Sacramento Bee reported.
Akers, a 14-year veteran, converted a career-low 69 percent of his field-goal attempts this regular season,including 9 of 19 from 40 yards or longer. He made his first six attempts overall, highlighted by a record-tying 63-yarder in a season-opening win at Green Bay.
He missed his first two field-goal attempts in the 49ers' 27-13 victory Sunday in the regular-season finale, compounding a season-long skid that included missing potential game-winners in their overtime games against the St. Louis Rams. He's had three field goals blocked, and the latest was returned 90 yards for a touchdown in a Dec. 23 loss at Seattle.
Meanwhile, Jacobs was suspended for the last three regular season games on Dec. 10. Though the team didn't explain why he was being punished, Jacobs has been active on social media sites complaining about his lack of playing time.
He has called his stint with the 49ers his "worst" year.
Hampered by a left knee injury earlier this season, Jacobs would spend approximately 20 minutes before games punching the goal-post padding. He said it was his way of dealing with the frustration of the situation.
Jacobs had five carries for 7 yards while playing in only two games and being active for just three for the NFC West champions.
The 30-year-old Jacobs spent his first seven NFL seasons with the New York Giants and ran for 571 yards and seven touchdowns last season with New York as a backup to Ahmad Bradshaw. He is the fourth-leading rusher in Giants franchise history with 4,849 yards.
Even if another team picks him up, Jacobs will not be eligible to play during the postseason.
49ers in Good Position Going into Playoffs
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
- Rookies Carry Redskins Over Cowboys to NFC East Title
- Josh Freeman Guides Buccaneers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Titans Set NFL Record for Touchdown Returns in Win Over Jaguars
- Jets to Dismiss Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano
- Browns to Fire Shurmur, Heckert after Steelers Showdown
- Sean Payton Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Saints
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Denies Report He Would Welcome Firing
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet.com