RG3 Returns, Leads Redskins to Brink of NFC East Title
Robert Griffin III picked up from where he left off after missing a game due to knee injury, tossing two touchdown passes as the Washington Redskins put the NFC East title within reach after defeating the Philadelphia Eagles, 27-20, Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field.
Griffin completed 16 of 24 passes for 198 yards and kicker Kai Forbath set a new league record for consecutive field goals to begin a career for the Redskins (9-6), who extended their winning streak to six games.
The Redskins can clinch the NFC East title for the first time since 1999 with a victory over the Dallas Cowboys at home Sunday.
Forbath buried two field goals from 45 and 42 yards in the second period for his 16th and 17th of the year in as many attempts, eclipsing Garrett Hartley's record of 16 consecutive made field goals to start an NFL career.
Rookie running back Alfred Morris tallied 91 yards on 22 carries and one score while wide receivers Santana Moss and Josh Morgan were the recipients of Griffin's two touchdown heaves.
Wide receiver Pierre Garcon caught seven passes for 89 yards while veteran linebacker London Fletcher had 12 tackles to lead the Redskins' defense.
Nick Foles hit 32 of 48 passes for 345 yards and a touchdown but was called for intentional grounding with one second remaining, dashing the Eagles' comeback hopes.
Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin tallied 116 yards on eight catches and a score while running back Dion Lewis ran for a 17-yard touchdown in the fourth for the Eagles, who dropped to 4-11.
Foles opened the game with a 27-yard touchdown pass to Maclin but the Redskins responded in the second quarter with two field goals from Forbath and a touchdown pass from Griffin to take a 13-7 advantage.
In the third period, Morris ran for a 10-yard touchdown and Griffin found Moss for a 27-yard score to give the Redskins a 27-13 lead.
In the fourth, Lewis delivered a 17-yard scoring run after intercepting Griffin's pass to bring the Eagles within seven.
In the dying minutes of the game, Foles brought the Eagles to the Washington 5 but was whistled for intentional grounding.
Who wins the NFC East?
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
- Rookies Carry Redskins Over Cowboys to NFC East Title
- Josh Freeman Guides Buccaneers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Titans Set NFL Record for Touchdown Returns in Win Over Jaguars
- Jets to Dismiss Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano
- Browns to Fire Shurmur, Heckert after Steelers Showdown
- Sean Payton Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Saints
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Denies Report He Would Welcome Firing
- All on the Line in Final Weekend of 2012 NFL Regular Season
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 17
- What to Look For: NFL 2012 Week 17
- Ravens Safety Ed Reed Escapes Suspension, Draws $55K Fine
- Grounded Jet: Critics Dampen Tim Tebow's Christmas
- Ex-Lions Lineman Lomas Brown Regrets Intentionally Missed Block
- Nine 49ers, Eight Texans Selected to Pro Bowl
- Coach Tom Coughlin Wants Giants to Play with Pride
- Debate: NFL 2012 Biggest Disappointments
- Michael Vick Seeks Win, Not Audition, in Upcoming Start
- Jets Start Search for New GM as Mike Tannenbaum on Way Out
- Foles Suffers Broken Hand, Michael Vick to Start Anew for Eagles
- Russell Wilson Throws Four TD Passes, Seahawks Clinch Playoff Spot
- Peyton Manning Throws Three TD Strikes, Broncos Blast Browns
- RG3 Returns, Leads Redskins to Brink of NFC East Title
- Tim Tebow to Join Jacksonville Jaguars Next Season
- Matt Ryan's Four TDs Help Falcons Clinch NFC's Top Seed
- Mark Sanchez to be Jets Number 2 QB vs. Chargers
- Quarterback Returns: Redskins to Start RGIII vs Eagles
- NFL Docks Falcons Safety Chris Hope $30K Fine for Hard Hit
- NFL Fines Niners Safety Dashon Goldson $21K for Illegal Hit
- Tim Tebow Did a Good Job, Says Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Bills Stay in Buffalo with 10-year Lease Deal
- Colts Eye Christmas Eve Return for Coach Chuck Pagano
- Drew Brees Expects Sean Payton to Continue Coaching Saints
- Bills Center Eric Wood Despises Rogers Centre Series
- Former Ohio State Back Maurice Clarett a Changed Man
- Giants' Victor Cruz Pays Tribue to Newtown Casulty's Memory
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- NFL 2012 Week 16 Preview: Giants vs Raven
- NFL 2012 Week 16 Preview: Bengals vs Steelers
- NFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks to Go
- Momentum Key for Teams Heading to Postseason
- 2012 NFL Playoff Scenarios For Week 16
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Benches Sanchez, McElroy to Start vs Chargers
- The Week That Was: NFL 2012 Week 15
- Robert Griffin III Overtakes Favre in NFL Jersey Sales
- Browns Rookie Rusher Frustrated Over Limited Touches vs Redskins
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com