Toomer Picks Romo Over Ex-Teammate Manning
New York, NY
Former New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer is picking a guy who he had never a chance to play with over a long-time teammate.
Toomer has stirred a hornets' nest by claiming that Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is better than Giants quarterback and two-time Super Bowl winner Eli Manning, whom he played with for five seasons.
"Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it, statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East," Toomer told "Movin' the Chains" show on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
"You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy (Romo) can play," he added.
Romo is 18-19 in his career against the NFC East and 5-7 against the Giants, including three losses at Cowboys Stadium while Manning is 26-20 versus the NFC East and 9-6 against the Cowboys. He never has lost at Cowboys Stadium.
"I'm talking about for me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo," added Toomer.
But Toomer toned down when informed of Romo's late-game struggles. "At crunch time, he's not as good as Eli," Toomer said. "But every other time, he's pretty darn good."
Manning has 21 fourth-quarter comebacks and 25 game-winning drives, with four of the victories coming against the Cowboys, including one this past season. Romo has 13 fourth-quarter comebacks, but only one against the Giants.
Toomer did not comment on Manning's 2-0 edge over Romo in Super Bowls. Manning has eight playoff wins in his career, including a road victory in Dallas, compared to Romo's one. Manning also has the head-to-head edge against Romo, winning the past five starts against him.
Because of his controversial comments, Toomer could end up like running back Tiki Barber, who was booed by Giants fans during his induction into the team's Ring of Honor in 2010 after he criticized Manning after his retirement.
"They will be booing my guy Toomer at Giants Stadium. That we can agree on," Defensive end Osi Umenyiora tweeted.
- Tyvon Branch Signs Four-Year Deal with Raiders
- Saints Make Brees Highest-Paid NFL Player with $100 Million Contract
- Deceased NFL Star Junior Seau's Brain Tissue Released for Study
- Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Explains Video Appearance
- Toomer Picks Romo Over Ex-Teammate Manning
- Ochocinco Claims He Can Play Six More Years
- Donovan McNabb Expects to Return for NFL 2012 Season
- Cowboys Stoke Eagles Rivalry with Controversial Tweet to Michael Vick
- Falcons Quarterback Matt Ryan Beefs Up for Upcoming Season
- Browns Not Likely to Trade for Disgruntled Wideout Percy Harvin
- LaDainian Tomlinson to Retire as Charger
- Broncos Linebacker Tweets Team's Defensive Formation
- Ravens Linebacker Suggs Injured Achilles Playing Hoops
- Giants Give Coach Tom Coughlin Contract Extension through 2014
- Tebow to Attend Sanchez's Private Training Camp
- NFL to Hire Replacement Referees while CBA Talks Continue
- Legend Jim Brown Stands by Comment on Trent Richardson
- Giants and DE Osi Umenyiora Agree to a Restructured Contract
- Giants Wideout Hakeem Nicks Confident He'll Play in Opener
- Giants Teammates Empathize with Osi Umenyiora Holdout
- Embattled Pro Bowl Returns to Hawaii for 33rd Time
- Dolphins Replace Rivals Jets on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'
- Colts Set Sights on Cowboys Cornerback Mike Jenkins
- Cam Newton Leads Panthers by Example
- Brian Urlacher May Test Free-Agent Waters
- Jets QB Mark Sanchez Praised for Sharp Throws in Workouts
- NFL Players Union Files Federal Lawsuit Against League
- Senior Punished For 'Tebowing' on Stage During Graduation
- Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Sees Title Window Closing
- Buccaneers Reportedly Look to Trade Tight End Winslow
- Repeating as Champs will be 'Giant' Challenge
- Our Ruinous Game
- Ohio State Linebacker Andrew Sweat Picks Law Over NFL and Concussions
- Saints QB Drew Brees Frustrated by Contract Talks
- Jets Coaches Continue to Praise Tebow
- Patriots Wideout Wes Welker Likely to Attend Minicamp
- Brandon Weeden Improves During Cleveland Browns Rookie Camp
- Patriots Wideout Ochocinco Expresses Support For Goodell
- Ex-NFL Linebacker Junior Seau Remembered By 20,000 Fans
- New 49ers Wideout Randy Moss Wows Onlookers
- Jets Coordinator Sparano Fan of Improved Tim Tebow
- Ravens Linebacker Terrell Suggs Suffers Torn Achilles
- Ex-NFL Star Linebacker Junior Seau Dead at 43
- Four Saints Players Banned in Bounty Probe
- Giants Want to Retain Osi Umenyiora
- QB Shuffle? With Weeden Pick, Browns Could Deal McCoy
- Trades and Surprise Picks Abound Through NFL Draft
- Browns Trade Up to 3, Select Richardson; Luck-Griffin Go 1-2
- NFL Getting Close to Wrapping Up Saints Bounty Probe
- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III Lock for Top Two Picks in NFL Draft
- Mike Mayock's 2012 NFL Draft Preview
- 2012 NFL Schedule Announced
- 2012 NFL Week-by-Week Weekly Schedule
- 2012 NFL Team Schedules
- Peyton Manning, Broncos Get New Era Started
- Bountygate: Gregg Williams Suspended Indefinitely; Sean Payton Out For Year
- Niners and Alex Smith Reunite After Peyton Pursuit
- Peyton Manning Finds New Home with Broncos
- Seahawks Sign Matt Flynn to Multi-Year Contract
- NFL 2012 Free Agent Signings and Trades Update
- Manning Reportedly Leaning Toward Denver and Arizona
- NFL Sets Salary Cap at $120.6 Million
- NFL Discloses 'Bounty Rule' Findings
- Tim Tebow Works on Passing Game with Quarterback Guru
- Giants Receiver Victor Cruz to Team: 'Throw Me The Money'
- Jets Wideout Santonio Holmes to Return for 2012 Season
- Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships
- Tim Tebow: Public Faith vs Private Faith
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved