Senior Punished For 'Tebowing' on Stage During Graduation
Fort Myers, FL
New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow is famous for kneeling and praying before and after a game, a move now more popularly known as "Tebowing".
This move has catapulted Tebow's popularity to greater heights because he shows no reservations in expressing his Christian faith to the world.
"Tebowing" was even imitated by colleagues in the National Football League (NFL) and millions all over the world.
But for Chuck Shriner, imitating Tebow's signature move on stage during graduation earned him a punishment.
Acting on a $5 bet with a classmate, Shriner went down on one knee and bowed his head on stage during Bishop Verot Catholic High's graduation ceremony.
"I just thought it was fun. I was just doing it to make graduation memorable," Shriner told NBC affiliate WPTV.
But Bishop Verot principal John Cavell and Shriner's mother, a math teacher at the school, were not amused by his act.
As punishment, Shriner had to clean up the gymnasium, where the graduation ceremony was held, before receiving the diploma.
A spokesman for the school said the punishment was the idea of Shriner's mother.
"They said what I did would give underclassmen inspiration to do something else, that it might lead to something else," Shriner told WPTV. "So they were trying to set an example."
"She (my mother) was really mad but I think it was worth it," said Shriner, who will attend the University of Central Florida in the fall.
- Ravens Linebacker Suggs Injured Achilles Playing Hoops
- Giants Give Coach Tom Coughlin Contract Extension through 2014
- Tebow to Attend Sanchez's Private Training Camp
- NFL to Hire Replacement Referees while CBA Talks Continue
- Legend Jim Brown Stands by Comment on Trent Richardson
- Giants and DE Osi Umenyiora Agree to a Restructured Contract
- Giants Wideout Hakeem Nicks Confident He'll Play in Opener
- Giants Teammates Empathize with Osi Umenyiora Holdout
- Embattled Pro Bowl Returns to Hawaii for 33rd Time
- Dolphins Replace Rivals Jets on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'
- Colts Set Sights on Cowboys Cornerback Mike Jenkins
- Cam Newton Leads Panthers by Example
- Brian Urlacher May Test Free-Agent Waters
- Jets QB Mark Sanchez Praised for Sharp Throws in Workouts
- NFL Players Union Files Federal Lawsuit Against League
- Senior Punished For 'Tebowing' on Stage During Graduation
- Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Sees Title Window Closing
- Buccaneers Reportedly Look to Trade Tight End Winslow
- Repeating as Champs will be 'Giant' Challenge
- Our Ruinous Game
- Ohio State Linebacker Andrew Sweat Picks Law Over NFL and Concussions
- Saints QB Drew Brees Frustrated by Contract Talks
- Jets Coaches Continue to Praise Tebow
- Patriots Wideout Wes Welker Likely to Attend Minicamp
- Brandon Weeden Improves During Cleveland Browns Rookie Camp
- Patriots Wideout Ochocinco Expresses Support For Goodell
- Ex-NFL Linebacker Junior Seau Remembered By 20,000 Fans
- New 49ers Wideout Randy Moss Wows Onlookers
- Jets Coordinator Sparano Fan of Improved Tim Tebow
- Ravens Linebacker Terrell Suggs Suffers Torn Achilles
- Ex-NFL Star Linebacker Junior Seau Dead at 43
- Four Saints Players Banned in Bounty Probe
- Giants Want to Retain Osi Umenyiora
- QB Shuffle? With Weeden Pick, Browns Could Deal McCoy
- Trades and Surprise Picks Abound Through NFL Draft
- Browns Trade Up to 3, Select Richardson; Luck-Griffin Go 1-2
- NFL Getting Close to Wrapping Up Saints Bounty Probe
- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III Lock for Top Two Picks in NFL Draft
- Mike Mayock's 2012 NFL Draft Preview
- 2012 NFL Schedule Announced
- 2012 NFL Week-by-Week Weekly Schedule
- 2012 NFL Team Schedules
- Peyton Manning, Broncos Get New Era Started
- Bountygate: Gregg Williams Suspended Indefinitely; Sean Payton Out For Year
- Niners and Alex Smith Reunite After Peyton Pursuit
- Peyton Manning Finds New Home with Broncos
- Seahawks Sign Matt Flynn to Multi-Year Contract
- NFL 2012 Free Agent Signings and Trades Update
- Manning Reportedly Leaning Toward Denver and Arizona
- NFL Sets Salary Cap at $120.6 Million
- NFL Discloses 'Bounty Rule' Findings
- Tim Tebow Works on Passing Game with Quarterback Guru
- Giants Receiver Victor Cruz to Team: 'Throw Me The Money'
- Jets Wideout Santonio Holmes to Return for 2012 Season
- Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships
- Tim Tebow: Public Faith vs Private Faith
- Super again! Giants Take Title in Squeaker over Patriots
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved