Panthers Acquire Receiver Louis Murphy from Raiders
The Carolina Panthers have added another passing target for quarterback Cam Newton as they acquired wide receiver Louis Murphy from the Oakland Raiders in exchange for an undisclosed conditional draft pick.
The Panthers made the move after sending injured right tackle Jeff Otah to the New York Jets for a conditional draft pick.
"For our overall offense, it was a move that we felt like we should make. The acquisition of Louis Murphy as a part of the Jeff Otah transaction was important. We basically swapped late-round picks," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said.
Murphy has 90 receptions for 1,371 yards and six touchdowns in three NFL seasons on top of 143 rushing yards and one touchdown.
"We acquired a big wide receiver who can run and has had some production in the league," Hurney added. "He's a tough player who will bring some veteran leadership with him. We feel like it helps a position that we wanted to create competition."
Murphy will be an additional asset to the Panthers' receiving corps, behind all-time franchise receiving leader Steve Smith and emerging youngsters Brandon LaFell and David Gettis.
Murphy, a fourth-round selection by the Raiders in 2009, led Oakland's receivers with 75 catches for 1,130 yards over his first two NFL seasons. Last year, the 6-2, 200-pounder was limited by groin injury to 11 games where he 15 catches for 241 yards.
"We liked him when he came out of Florida, and he had two productive years with the Raiders," Hurney said. "He had some injury problems last year, but he's a talented receiver that has a chance to come in and help us."
Otah, selected by the Panthers in the first round of the 2008 draft, started 29 regular season games and one postseason game in four seasons, but he missed 31 of the team's last 35 games.
He spent the final three games of the 2009 season on injured reserve with a left knee injury that sidelined him for all of 2010. He played in four of the first six games in 2011 before returning to injured reserve to further rehab the knee.
"Jeff is an extremely talented player, and it was a difficult decision, but we like our young tackles," Hurney said, referring to Jordan Gross, Byron Bell, Garry Williams and newly acquired Bruce Campbell.
- Jets Cornerback Revis Denies Missing Practice Due to Contract Issues
- Rex Ryan Satisfied with Tebow's Training Camp Debut with Jets
- Vikings Place Adrian Peterson on Physically Unable to Perform List
- Browns Owner Randy Lerner to Give Up Controlling Interest of Team
- Ex-Cowboys Tight End Martellus Bennett Feels Malice for Dallas
- Dolphins Receiver Chad Johnson Promises to Return to Old Self
- Kalil Boasts Panthers to Win Super Bowl in Newspaper Ad
- Browns Sign Quarterback Brandon Weeden
- Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin Agrees to Three-Year Extension
- Seahawks Sign Chris Clemons to Multi-year Extension
- Panthers Acquire Receiver Louis Murphy from Raiders
- Eagles Coach Andy Reid OK with Michael Vick Dynasty Comments
- Jets Cornerback Darrelle Revis to Attend Training Camp
- NFL Training Camps Set to Open
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Now 106 Pounds Lighter
- Andrew Luck Signs Guaranteed Four-Year Deal with Colts
- Steelers' Troy Polamalu Says He's Lied About Concussions
- Ravens Confident of Signing QB Flacco to Extension
- Robert Griffin III Signs Four-Year Deal with Washington Redskins
- Ray Rice Reaches Five-year Deal with Ravens
- Matt Forte Inks Four-year Deal with Bears
- Standing Pats: Long-Term Deal for Welker Unlikely
- Tyvon Branch Signs Four-Year Deal with Raiders
- Saints Make Brees Highest-Paid NFL Player with $100 Million Contract
- Deceased NFL Star Junior Seau's Brain Tissue Released for Study
- Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Explains Video Appearance
- Toomer Picks Romo Over Ex-Teammate Manning
- Ochocinco Claims He Can Play Six More Years
- Donovan McNabb Expects to Return for NFL 2012 Season
- Cowboys Stoke Eagles Rivalry with Controversial Tweet to Michael Vick
- Falcons Quarterback Matt Ryan Beefs Up for Upcoming Season
- Browns Not Likely to Trade for Disgruntled Wideout Percy Harvin
- LaDainian Tomlinson to Retire as Charger
- Broncos Linebacker Tweets Team's Defensive Formation
- Ravens Linebacker Suggs Injured Achilles Playing Hoops
- Giants Give Coach Tom Coughlin Contract Extension through 2014
- Tebow to Attend Sanchez's Private Training Camp
- NFL to Hire Replacement Referees while CBA Talks Continue
- Legend Jim Brown Stands by Comment on Trent Richardson
- Giants and DE Osi Umenyiora Agree to a Restructured Contract
- Giants Wideout Hakeem Nicks Confident He'll Play in Opener
- Giants Teammates Empathize with Osi Umenyiora Holdout
- Embattled Pro Bowl Returns to Hawaii for 33rd Time
- Dolphins Replace Rivals Jets on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'
- Colts Set Sights on Cowboys Cornerback Mike Jenkins
- Cam Newton Leads Panthers by Example
- Brian Urlacher May Test Free-Agent Waters
- Jets QB Mark Sanchez Praised for Sharp Throws in Workouts
- NFL Players Union Files Federal Lawsuit Against League
- Senior Punished For 'Tebowing' on Stage During Graduation
- Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Sees Title Window Closing
- Buccaneers Reportedly Look to Trade Tight End Winslow
- Repeating as Champs will be 'Giant' Challenge
- Our Ruinous Game
- Ohio State Linebacker Andrew Sweat Picks Law Over NFL and Concussions
- Saints QB Drew Brees Frustrated by Contract Talks
- Jets Coaches Continue to Praise Tebow
- Patriots Wideout Wes Welker Likely to Attend Minicamp
- Brandon Weeden Improves During Cleveland Browns Rookie Camp
- Patriots Wideout Ochocinco Expresses Support For Goodell
- Ex-NFL Linebacker Junior Seau Remembered By 20,000 Fans
- New 49ers Wideout Randy Moss Wows Onlookers
- Jets Coordinator Sparano Fan of Improved Tim Tebow
- Ravens Linebacker Terrell Suggs Suffers Torn Achilles
- Ex-NFL Star Linebacker Junior Seau Dead at 43
- Four Saints Players Banned in Bounty Probe
- Giants Want to Retain Osi Umenyiora
- QB Shuffle? With Weeden Pick, Browns Could Deal McCoy
- Trades and Surprise Picks Abound Through NFL Draft
- Browns Trade Up to 3, Select Richardson; Luck-Griffin Go 1-2
- NFL Getting Close to Wrapping Up Saints Bounty Probe
- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III Lock for Top Two Picks in NFL Draft
- Mike Mayock's 2012 NFL Draft Preview
- 2012 NFL Schedule Announced
- 2012 NFL Week-by-Week Weekly Schedule
- 2012 NFL Team Schedules
- Peyton Manning, Broncos Get New Era Started
- Bountygate: Gregg Williams Suspended Indefinitely; Sean Payton Out For Year
- Niners and Alex Smith Reunite After Peyton Pursuit
- Peyton Manning Finds New Home with Broncos
- Seahawks Sign Matt Flynn to Multi-Year Contract
- NFL 2012 Free Agent Signings and Trades Update
- Manning Reportedly Leaning Toward Denver and Arizona
- NFL Sets Salary Cap at $120.6 Million
- NFL Discloses 'Bounty Rule' Findings
- Tim Tebow Works on Passing Game with Quarterback Guru
- Giants Receiver Victor Cruz to Team: 'Throw Me The Money'
- Jets Wideout Santonio Holmes to Return for 2012 Season
- Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships
- Tim Tebow: Public Faith vs Private Faith
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved