Giants Give Coach Tom Coughlin Contract Extension through 2014
New York, NY
In his eight years at the helm, Tom Coughlin has steered the New York Giants to two Super Bowl crowns.
Coughlin will have the opportunity to add more to that tally as he was given a contract extension that will keep him with the Giants until 2014. Terms of the deal were not announced.
"It has always been my belief that it is an honor and a privilege to be the head coach of the New York Giants," said Coughlin, who joined the Giants in 2004 and led them to Super Bowl titles in 2007 and 2012.
"I'm thankful to (co-owners) John Mara and Steve Tisch and their families for their support and the recognition of what our players and coaches have accomplished. And I'm grateful for the working relationship (general manager) Jerry Reese and I have. We've got a lot of work left to do," he said.
Coughlin has a 142-114 (.557) career regular-season record in 16 seasons as a coach with the Giants and the Jacksonville Jaguars. He is 19th all-time in regular season wins, tied with St. Louis Rams' Jeff Fisher, and has a postseason record of 12-7 (.632)
Coughlin's 154 total victories tie him with Hall of Famer Marv Levy for 17th on the NFL's career list. His 12 postseason victories tie him with former Pittsburgh Coach Bill Cowher for the sixth-highest total in NFL history.
During his stint, Coughlin has led the Giants to two NFC East titles and five playoff appearances. He is third in franchise history with 74 regular-season wins and locked with Bill Parcells with a franchise-record eight postseason wins.
"In so many ways, Tom represents to me who and what the head coach of our franchise should be," Mara said.
"Tom is the right person in the right job at the right time," Tisch said. "I just really appreciate how our players respond to his leadership, and obviously our organization has benefitted tremendously because of the relationship Tom has with his players."
Last year, the Giants won the NFC East and made the playoffs by winning their last two games of the regular season. The Giants continued their streak in the playoff with four wins to capture the Super Bowl.
"Tom is a winner and he's a fighter," Reese said. "And I enjoy and appreciate working with him. From where I sit, I couldn't ask for more in a head coach."
Tom Coughlin's contract extension
- Ravens Linebacker Suggs Injured Achilles Playing Hoops
- Giants Give Coach Tom Coughlin Contract Extension through 2014
- Tebow to Attend Sanchez's Private Training Camp
- NFL to Hire Replacement Referees while CBA Talks Continue
- Legend Jim Brown Stands by Comment on Trent Richardson
- Giants and DE Osi Umenyiora Agree to a Restructured Contract
- Giants Wideout Hakeem Nicks Confident He'll Play in Opener
- Giants Teammates Empathize with Osi Umenyiora Holdout
- Embattled Pro Bowl Returns to Hawaii for 33rd Time
- Dolphins Replace Rivals Jets on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'
- Colts Set Sights on Cowboys Cornerback Mike Jenkins
- Cam Newton Leads Panthers by Example
- Brian Urlacher May Test Free-Agent Waters
- Jets QB Mark Sanchez Praised for Sharp Throws in Workouts
- NFL Players Union Files Federal Lawsuit Against League
- Senior Punished For 'Tebowing' on Stage During Graduation
- Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Sees Title Window Closing
- Buccaneers Reportedly Look to Trade Tight End Winslow
- Repeating as Champs will be 'Giant' Challenge
- Our Ruinous Game
- Ohio State Linebacker Andrew Sweat Picks Law Over NFL and Concussions
- Saints QB Drew Brees Frustrated by Contract Talks
- Jets Coaches Continue to Praise Tebow
- Patriots Wideout Wes Welker Likely to Attend Minicamp
- Brandon Weeden Improves During Cleveland Browns Rookie Camp
- Patriots Wideout Ochocinco Expresses Support For Goodell
- Ex-NFL Linebacker Junior Seau Remembered By 20,000 Fans
- New 49ers Wideout Randy Moss Wows Onlookers
- Jets Coordinator Sparano Fan of Improved Tim Tebow
- Ravens Linebacker Terrell Suggs Suffers Torn Achilles
- Ex-NFL Star Linebacker Junior Seau Dead at 43
- Four Saints Players Banned in Bounty Probe
- Giants Want to Retain Osi Umenyiora
- QB Shuffle? With Weeden Pick, Browns Could Deal McCoy
- Trades and Surprise Picks Abound Through NFL Draft
- Browns Trade Up to 3, Select Richardson; Luck-Griffin Go 1-2
- NFL Getting Close to Wrapping Up Saints Bounty Probe
- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III Lock for Top Two Picks in NFL Draft
- Mike Mayock's 2012 NFL Draft Preview
- 2012 NFL Schedule Announced
- 2012 NFL Week-by-Week Weekly Schedule
- 2012 NFL Team Schedules
- Peyton Manning, Broncos Get New Era Started
- Bountygate: Gregg Williams Suspended Indefinitely; Sean Payton Out For Year
- Niners and Alex Smith Reunite After Peyton Pursuit
- Peyton Manning Finds New Home with Broncos
- Seahawks Sign Matt Flynn to Multi-Year Contract
- NFL 2012 Free Agent Signings and Trades Update
- Manning Reportedly Leaning Toward Denver and Arizona
- NFL Sets Salary Cap at $120.6 Million
- NFL Discloses 'Bounty Rule' Findings
- Tim Tebow Works on Passing Game with Quarterback Guru
- Giants Receiver Victor Cruz to Team: 'Throw Me The Money'
- Jets Wideout Santonio Holmes to Return for 2012 Season
- Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships
- Tim Tebow: Public Faith vs Private Faith
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved