NFL 2014: Young Quarterbacks on the Rise
Young quarterbacks around the NFL are making opponents take notice and are establishing themselves as stars in the making.
"The last few years have changed what young quarterbacks can do coming out of college," says Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll. "I would have told you in years past as an NFL coach, that young quarterbacks can't do it right away, and there were only a couple that ever did, and that wasn't enough to make that an expectation that you could count on. But I think that's totally shifted."
Carroll's quarterback, Russell Wilson, proved that young quarterbacks can succeed in today's NFL. Wilson led the Seahawks to a Super Bowl championship and joined Kurt Warner, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger as the only quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl in his first or second season in the league.
Selected in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, Wilson has won 24 regular-season games, the most by a quarterback in his first two seasons during the Super Bowl era.
Wilson is one of the many young quarterbacks taking the NFL by storm.
Fourth-year quarterbacks Andy Dalton of Cincinnati, Colin Kaepernick of San Francisco, Cam Newton of Carolina and third-year quarterbacks Nick Foles of Philadelphia, Robert Griffin Iii of Washington, Andrew Luck of Indianapolis, Ryan Tannehill of Miami and Wilson of Seattle all hope to build on their experience going into 2014.
A few of the rising stars at quarterback who were drafted since 2011:
Andy Dalton, Cincinnati
"We obviously have a strong belief in the ability of Andy Dalton to continue playing well and to be the leader of our offense. We know he has tremendous potential to be even better. Our players believe in him and have faith in the way he goes about everything he does. He's a tough young man." -- Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis
Nick Foles, Philadelphia
"Nick Foles is one of the best passers I've seen. He is special. He's big and he can throw. His throwing motion, throwing on the move, reminds me of Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. This guy is good. He gives them a big edge." -- Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath
Robert Griffin III, Washington
"I think he has the total package you look for in a quarterback. If you're going to create a quarterback, I think it'd look like Griffin. I want a guy that can run 4.4, 4.3. I want a guy that can throw it this far. I want a guy that can scramble in the pocket. I want a guy that's smart enough to handle this, this and this. That's what you want." -- Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden
Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco
"With Colin, it's always just appropriate. He's got the appropriate amount of competitive fire when you need competitive fire. He's got the appropriate amount of happy and joy when it's the right time to have that. I really believe that's how people should play the game. It's genuine and it's honest of a guy who's out there playing the game and competing." -- San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis
"He's such a mature kid and understands the game. He prepares so well, and his focus is unbelievable. We know the physical talent is there. He's extremely intelligent. The great thing about Andrew is he is unflappable. He's gotten better, and he's his own critic." -- Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano
Cam Newton, Carolina
"He's big, he's fast, he's a very athletic guy. He's obviously a threat with the ball in his hands to run. He can make all the throws. He can put the ball on the sideline, he's got a lot of zip on the ball down the field and he's a good outside thrower, good deep ball thrower." -- New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Ryan Tannehill, Miami
"He's a gym rat. He loves football. Those are all good indicators that somebody wants to be good. That's kind of step one. If you don't have players that want to be great, it's hard for them to keep climbing and keep accelerating their development. That's point number one that we're excited about." -- Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin
Russell Wilson, Seattle
"He's an incredible competitor in every way. In preparation, in game day, he's the epitome of what you want in your competitor. He's got tremendous work habits. He's got extraordinary athleticism. He's got a general all-around savvy that allows him to make great decisions under pressure. He's extremely confident too, so no matter what is going on, he's not going to waver in his focus and ability to handle things. He's just been a blast to coach and been a great team member." -- Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
- NFL 2014: NFL Season Enters Second Quarter
- What To Look For Week 5
- Peyton Manning Approaches 500th TD Pass
- De Marco Murray Rushing Into The Record Books
- What's Wrong with the Patriots?
- NFL MVP at the Quarter Mark
- How Many Turnovers Are Too Many for a Young QB?
- Will Peyton Manning Solve the Cardinals Secondary?
- Why Philip Rivers Is the MVP Frontrunner
- Are the Cowboys the Best Team in the NFC East?
- NFL Approaches Quarter Mark
- Week 4 What to Look For
- QBs Off to Efficient Start
- Cardinals & Eagles Flying High
- NFL Predictions Turned Bad
- Will New NFL Conduct Policy Exact Real Change?
- Packers Need a Sense of Urgency
- Contenders and Pretenders
- Cardinals Rise, 49ers Demise
- Key Matchups On Tap For Week 3
- What To Look For Week 3
- Special Teams Game-Changers
- NFL Comeback Wins
- Goodell Digs Himself Deeper
- Did Roger Goodell's Press Conference Do Enough?
- Week 3 Under the Radar Games
- The 0-2 Panic Meter
- Top 5 QBs for Week 3
- Adrian Peterson Reinstated by Vikings
- Death Of The NFL?
- Is This the End for RGIII?
- RGIII's Future in Cousins' Hands
- Best & Worst from NFL Week 2
- Richard Sherman Not a 'Shutdown Corner'
- NFL 2014: Week 2 Preview
- NFL 2014: Week 2 What to Look For
- NFL 2014: 'Must Win' Games for Week 2
- NFL 2014: Chiefs vs Broncos Preview
- NFL 2014: NFL Calls on Ex-FBI Chief to Probe Ray Rice Matter
- NFL 2014: Pressure Building for Roger Goodell's Resignation
- NFL 2014: Week 2 Fantasy Football Picks
- NFL 2014 Week 1: Andrew Luck vs Peyton Manning
- NFL 2014 Week 1: Back To Football
- Quarterbacks Take Center Stage
- Is Derek Carr the Answer in Oakland?
- Fantasy Football Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 1
- Emmitt Smith on the Running Back's Changing Role
- Seahawks & Packers Kick Off NFL 2014 Season
- NFL 2014: Who Will Win Super Bowl XLIX
- NFL 2014: NFC East Division Preview
- NFL 2014: NFC North Division Preview
- NFL 2014: NFC South Division Preview
- NFL 2014: NFC West Division Preview
- NFL 2014: AFC East Division Preview
- NFL 2014: AFC South Division Preview
- NFL 2014: AFC North Division Preview
- NFL 2014: AFC West Division Preview
- NFL 2014: Seattle Seahawks - Super Follow-Ups
- Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
- NFL Division Titles Up for Grabs
- NFL Teams From Worst to First
- NFL 2014: Patriots Look to Continue Winning Tradition
- NFL Scoring Reached Record Highs in 2013
- NFL 2014: Quarterback Success
- NFL 2014: Running the Ball
- NFL 2014: Relying on the Spread Offense
- NFL 2014: Running Backs: Good Things Come in Pairs
- NFL 2014: Tight Ends on the Rise
- NFL 2014: Third-Down Conversions
- NFL 2014: Fourth and One
- NFL 2014: Denver's Mile High Offense
- NFL 2014: Turnovers Key To Victory
- NFL 2014: Interception Return Touchdowns
- NFL 2014: What To Look For in 2014
- NFL 2014: Russell Wilson: In Russ We Trust
- NFL 2014: Peyton Manning
- NFL 2014: Tom Brady - NFL's Tom Terrific
- NFL 2014: Drew Brees
- NFL 2014: Nick Foles
- NFL 2014: Andrew Luck: Beginner's Luck
- NFL 2014: Young Quarterbacks on the Rise
- NFL 2014: Calvin Johnson: Megatron Makes History
- NFL 2014: Adrian Peterson Rushing Into The Record Books
- NFL 2014: Cordarrelle Patterson is Mr. Versatility
- NFL 2014: NFL Rookies Excelled in 2013
- NFL 2014: Double Trouble Running Backs
- NFL 2014: Receivers Making A Splash
- NFL 2014: Big Play Excitement
- NFL 2014: Protecting The Quarterback
- NFL 2014: Top Kick Returners
- NFL 2014: Clutch Performers
- NFL 2014: Yards After The Catch
- NFL 2014: On Target Receivers
- NFL 2014: Active Statistical Leaders Heading into 2014
- Arizona to Host Pro Bowl & Super Bowl
- 2014 NFL Strength of Schedule
- 2014 NFL Teams Total Miles Traveled
- Same Faces, New Places
- Overtime Excitement
- 1989: Art Shell Named NFL's First Black Head Coach
- Lovie Smith and Bucs to Surprise in 2014
- CBS Announcers Can Choose to Stop Saying 'Redskins'
- Top 5 NFL Teams Before Training Camp
- Expectations for Teddy Bridgewater
- New York Giants Institute Fine on Overweight Players
- NFL Kickers Bulk Up for Boot Camp
- Does Patent Ruling Mean An End To The Redskins Name?
- 77 Years of Redskins Branding
- Does Los Angeles Deserve a NFL Team?
- Now It's Your Turn, Redskins Owner
- 2014 NFL Draft: Boomer: 'Coach J.J. Watt Will Get Clowney Into Shape'
- 2014 NFL Draft: Winners and Losers from the First Round
- 2014 NFL Draft: Quarterbacks Rule in Round 1
- 2014 NFL Draft: Bortles Surprised and Ecstatic to Go to Jags
- 2014 NFL Draft: Manziel Will Be the Star Cleveland Needs
- 2014 NFL Draft: No. 1 - Houston Texans Select DE Jadeveon Clowney
Article: Copyright © 2014
"NFL 2014: Young Quarterbacks on the Rise"