Michael Vick Agrees to One-Year Restructured Deal with Eagles
Quarterback Michael Vick has agreed to restructure his contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, signing a one-year deal that could earn him as much as $10 million next season.
"My heart is in Philly and this community is important to me. I look forward to playing for coach Chip Kelly Kelly, owner Jeffrey Lurie and the entire Eagles organization, the city of Philadelphia and the fans," Vick said in a statement.
"I am training hard this offseason and will be ready for Coach Kelly's team vision and leadership. Our goal is to win," Vick added.
The new deal, which replaced the six-year, $100 million contract he signed in 2011, will give Vick a chance to compete for the starting job with Nick Foles, according to Kelly.
"The one thing that attracted me to Michael after visiting with him, he's a competitor," Kelly said. "I don't think Michael is afraid of anything. He wants competition. I've seen Nick up close and personal and I think Nick wants it too," Kelly said.
Kelly stressed that both Vick and Foles will work with the first-team offense during the team's pre-draft mini-camp in April, saying it's an open competition and the job will be won on the practice field.
In 10 games last season, Vick tallied 2,362 yards, 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. However, Vick's injuries and inconsistencies have paved the way for Foles to start in six games.
A year after signing with the Eagles in 2009, Vick led them to an NFC East title and a huge 38-31 win over the New York Giants where he rallied the team from a 21-point hole.
During that season, Vick finished with 3,018 yards passing, 676 yards rushing and 30 total touchdowns.
At 32, Vick was not the same quarterback as he was two years ago but that did not concern Kelly at all.
"He's younger than Dallas quarterback Tony Romo, and he's right about the same age as Giants quarterback Eli Manning," Kelly said.
Foles, for his part, finished the 2012 season with 1,699 yards, six touchdowns and five interceptions while running for 42 yards and a touchdown as a six-game starter.
- Goodell Assures NFL doing all it can to reduce, prevent head injuries
- Patriots Wide Receiver Wes Welker to Test Free-Agent Market
- Vince Young apologizes to ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher in letter
- Linebacker Von Miller: Broncos to win Super Bowl next season
- Cowboys Franchise Linebacker Anthony Spencer Again
- LeSean McCoy pushing for Michael Vick to start for Eagles
- Joe Flacco Signs Biggest Deal in NFL History
- Falcons Release Three Players to Create Salary Cap Room
- Ravens Terrell Suggs: 31 Other Teams Hate Patriots
- Titans Chris Johnson Says He'll Eclipse AP, Dickerson Marks
- Southern Cal Coach Lane Kiffin Makes Pitch for Matt Barkley
- NFL to Look into Prospect's Claim on Sexual Orientation Query
- Raiders Eyeing Mike Holmgren for Front Office Post
- Giants Re-sign Will Beatty to Five-Year Deal
- 49ers Trade QB Alex Smith to Chiefs for Two Picks
- Tom Brady's Discounted Deal Allows Patriots to Rebuild Around QB
- Heart Condition May Jeopardize Star Lotulelei's NFL Dream
- Baltimore Ravens Offseason Needs
- Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Needs
- Cleveland Browns Offseason Needs
- Pittsburgh Steelers Offseason Needs
- Houston Texans Offseason Needs
- Indianapolis Colts Offseason Needs
- Jacksonville Jaguars Offseason Needs
- Tennessee Titans Offseason Needs
- Denver Broncos Offseason Needs
- Kansas City Chiefs Offseason Needs
- Oakland Raiders Offseason Needs
- San Diego Chargers Offseason Needs
- Dallas Cowboys Offseason Needs
- Philadelphia Eagles Offseason Needs
- Washington Redskins Offseason Needs
- Chicago Bears Offseason Needs
- Detroit Lions Offseason Needs
- Green Bay Packers Offseason Needs
- Minnesota Vikings Offseason Needs
- Atlanta Falcons Offseason Needs
- Carolina Panthers Offseason Needs
- New Orleans Saints Offseason Needs
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Offseason Needs
- Saint Louis Rams Offseason Needs
- San Francisco 49ers Offseason Needs
- Seattle Seahawks Offseason Needs
- 49ers Ponder Future of Alex Smith and Randy Moss
- Ravens Center Matt Birk Retires After 15 Seasons
- Jets' Revis Trades Barbs with Seahawks' Sherman on Twitter
- Falcons Prioritize Tony Gonzalez Signing
- Jets Release Four Players in Salary-Cap Move
- Darrelle Revis Uncertain of Future with Jets
- Ray Lewis, Your Seat at The Kids Table is Ready
- Vikings Peterson Wants to Keep Playing Alongside Harvin
- NFL Braces for Stormy Super Bowl XLVIII
- Bears Give Up on Johnny Knox
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
- Michael Vick Agrees to One-Year Restructured Deal with Eagles
- Newly Installed Device Blamed for Superdome Power Outage
- Eagles Plan to Keep Quarterback Michael Vick for Now
- Giants Waive Bradshaw and Canty to Clear Cap Space
- Ex-Saints Assistant Gregg Williams Reinstated, Joins Titans Coaching Staff
- Vikings RB Adrian Peterson Undergoes Surgery for Sports Hernia
- Ravens Celebrate Super Bowl XLVII Victory with Parade
- If Selected, Santa Clara Assures Power-Outage Free Super Bowl 50
- Joe Flacco, Justin Tucker Carry Ravens Past 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII
- Flacco Named Super Bowl XLVII Most Valuable Player
- Jacoby Jones Has Record Night in Hometown Super Bowl
- Harbaugh: We've Got Resolve, That's Why We Won
- Super Bowl XLVII Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- 49ers Coach: 'It Was a Heck of a Football Game'
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved