Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
New Orleans, LA
The Pro Football Hall of Fame has selected 15 modern-era finalists, including first-year nominees Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan, who will be considered for enshrinement when the 46-member Selection Committee meets next month in New Orleans.
Aside from the four, the committee also selected Jerome Bettis (RB), Tim Brown (WR), Cris Carter (WR), Curley Culp (DT/G), Edward DeBartolo Jr. (owner), Kevin Greene (LB), Charles Haley (DE), Art Modell (owner), Bill Parcells (coach), Andre Reed (WR), Dave Robinson (LB), Will Shields (G), Aeneas Williams (CB)
Former Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers defensive tackle Curley Culp and former Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins linebacker Dave Robinson were selected as senior candidates by the Hall of Fame's Seniors Committee, which reviews qualifications of players whose careers took place more than 25 years ago.
The 15 modern-era finalists were chosen by the Hall's Selection Committee from a list of 127 nominees that earlier was reduced to a list of 27 semifinalists. To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.
The Class of 2013 will be determined at the Selection Committee's annual meeting on Saturday, Feb. 2, in New Orleans, Louisiana, a day before Super Bowl XLVII.
The election results will be announced immediately afterward from the Super Bowl media headquarters.
The Class of 2013 will be officially enshrined on Saturday, Aug. 3 in Canton, Ohio as the main event of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Annual Enshrinement Festival Celebration.
In addition, a record number of Hall of Fame members are expected to return to Canton to take part in the annual Enshrinement Festival as a part of the Hall of Fame's special Golden Anniversary Reunion Celebration.
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved