San Diego, CA
Manti Te'o is eliminating all distractions to focus on his NFL career as San Diego Chargers linebacker.
Te'o has signed a four-year deal with the Chargers .
He played at inside linebacker during the portion of practice open to the media and is expected to vie for a starting spot at that position with San Diego.
"I'm not focusing on what is going on on the outside. I'm worried about what we're doing here in San Diego and I'm looking forward to when the veterans come in on Monday," he said, apparently referring to the girlfriend hoax incident that put him in the spotlight for the wrong reason.
As a senior at Notre Dame, Te'o was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy while intercepting seven passes -- the most by a major college linebacker in a single season since 2001. He led the Fighting Irish with 113 tackles en route to a No. 1
national ranking and Bowl Championship Series national-title game appearance against the Alabama Crimson Tide.
However, Te'o failed to impress as Notre Dame was blown out by Alabama, 42-14, and then had a less-than-stellar effort at the NFL combine.
Once thought to be a top-20 pick in the NFL draft, the Chargers selected him in the second round.
"We are going to plug him in there on Monday and he will be in that first huddle with everybody else," said San Diego Coach Mike McCoy.
Manti Te'o Fake Girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, Makes Maxim's 'Hot 100' List
- The Curse of Redskins
- Missouri Turns Down $700M Upgrade of Rams Home Field
- Redskins Eric Kettani Gets Hate Mail for Navy Deal
- Raiders Settle with ex-QB JaMarcus Russell for $3M
- Texans' Cushing: J.J. Watt could be best defensive player ever
- Ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez petition for bail denied
- Ex-coach Bill Parcells Regrets Leaving Patriots
- Jets Veterans Want Mark Sanchez to Start at Quarterback
- Ex-Giants, Jets punter Dave Jennings dead at 61
- 49ers Extend Justin Smith through 2015
- Radio Hosts Fired for Mocking Saints defensive back Steve Gleason
- Vladimir Putin denies Taking 2005 Super Bowl Ring without Permission
- Chad Johnson Released from Jail
- Jets Sign Tight End Kellen Winslow Jr to One-Year Deal
- Chargers Rusher Ryan Mathews Receives Hate Messages on Twitter
- Broncos Release Veteran Rusher Willis McGahee
- Patriots Give Tim Tebow's NFL Career a Boost
- Chad Johnson gets 30 days in jail for slapping lawyer's butt
- Hall of Famer Jim Brown Claims NFL Lags Behind NASCAR in Safety
- Quarterback JaMarcus Russell shows solid form in Bears tryout
- Jim Kelly Undergoes Successful Surgery for mouth-area cancer
- Super Bowl Champion Ravens Enjoy White House Visit
- Bill Belichick: 'I'm No Tim Tebow Hater'
- Vikings Rusher Adrian Peterson OK with having Gay Teammate
- Giants Jason Pierre-Paul Undergoes Back Surgery
- Legendary defensive end Deacon Jones dead at 74
- Bills great Jim Kelly believes he can overcome cancer
- Cowboys' Draft Board Exposed for the Second Time
- Browns Trent Richardson Will Not Be Hampered by Injuries
- Back Injury Puts Gronkowski Back on Operating Table
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
- Florida Legislature Rejects Funding for Sun Life Stadium Renovations
- Notre Dame Emerging as NFL Draft Pick Hotbed
- Council Member Seeks Name Change from Redskins to Redtails
- NFL Suspends Jaguars Wideout Justin Blackmon for Four Games
- Jets GM: 5 Remaining QBs to Compete for Starting Job
- Jets Cut Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Chiefs Pick Offensive Tackle Eric Fisher as Top Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL Draft 2013: Manti Te'o, Geno Smith First-Round Snubs
- Eagles Leapfrog Chiefs to Select Matt Barkley in Fourth-Round
- Aaron Rodgers Signs $110M Extension with Packers
- Hall of Famer Barry Sanders to Appear on 'Madden NFL 25' Cover
- Jets Cornerback Dealt: 'Revis Island' Now Attached to Tampa Bay
- Quarterback Mark Sanchez Blames Jets for Fueling Tebow Hype
- Bengals and James Harrison Agree to Two-Year Deal
- 2013 NFL Schedule Announced
- Packers Sign Clay Matthews to Five-Year Deal
- Jets Stall Darrelle Revis Trade Talks
- David Akers to Join Detroit Lions
- Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved