Buffalo Bills legendary quarterback Jim Kelly underwent successful surgery to remove cancer cells from his upper jaw at Erie County Medical Center.
Thom R. Loree, the hospital's clinical director of the Head and Neck Surgery Department, said in a statement that Kelly is now recovering comfortably and could go home if he feels comfortable.
According to the hospital, Kelly underwent a partial maxillectomy to remove a squamous cell carcinoma of the upper gingival caused by chronic irritation at the gum site. Also, Kelly underwent reconstruction with a dental obturator.
"We are hopeful for and anticipate a speedy recovery and successful outcome," the hospital said in a statement.
However, doctors have yet to determine whether Kelly needs to undergo chemotherapy or radiation treatment.
Kelly, the Bills Hall of Fame quarterback who helped lead them to four consecutive Super Bowl appearances in the early 1990s, earlier revealed he had been diagnosed with squamous-cell ceancer in his upper jaw bone.
Kelly said doctors told him his prognosis for recovery was good, based on computed tomography scans of his head. Tests showed cancer had not spread to other parts of his body.
- The Curse of Redskins
- Missouri Turns Down $700M Upgrade of Rams Home Field
- Redskins Eric Kettani Gets Hate Mail for Navy Deal
- Raiders Settle with ex-QB JaMarcus Russell for $3M
- Texans' Cushing: J.J. Watt could be best defensive player ever
- Ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez petition for bail denied
- Ex-coach Bill Parcells Regrets Leaving Patriots
- Jets Veterans Want Mark Sanchez to Start at Quarterback
- Ex-Giants, Jets punter Dave Jennings dead at 61
- 49ers Extend Justin Smith through 2015
- Radio Hosts Fired for Mocking Saints defensive back Steve Gleason
- Vladimir Putin denies Taking 2005 Super Bowl Ring without Permission
- Chad Johnson Released from Jail
- Jets Sign Tight End Kellen Winslow Jr to One-Year Deal
- Chargers Rusher Ryan Mathews Receives Hate Messages on Twitter
- Broncos Release Veteran Rusher Willis McGahee
- Patriots Give Tim Tebow's NFL Career a Boost
- Chad Johnson gets 30 days in jail for slapping lawyer's butt
- Hall of Famer Jim Brown Claims NFL Lags Behind NASCAR in Safety
- Quarterback JaMarcus Russell shows solid form in Bears tryout
- Jim Kelly Undergoes Successful Surgery for mouth-area cancer
- Super Bowl Champion Ravens Enjoy White House Visit
- Bill Belichick: 'I'm No Tim Tebow Hater'
- Vikings Rusher Adrian Peterson OK with having Gay Teammate
- Giants Jason Pierre-Paul Undergoes Back Surgery
- Legendary defensive end Deacon Jones dead at 74
- Bills great Jim Kelly believes he can overcome cancer
- Cowboys' Draft Board Exposed for the Second Time
- Browns Trent Richardson Will Not Be Hampered by Injuries
- Back Injury Puts Gronkowski Back on Operating Table
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved