The Miami Dolphins long-term future in South Florida may be in jeopardy after the Florida Legislature rejected funding for the team's home at Sun Life Stadium.
Dolphins CEO Mike Dee had been hoping for the state to chip in on stadium improvements and said team management won't foot the bill entirely.
He said owner Stephen Ross, 73, has no immediate plans to sell the team, but that a future owner or ownership group would be dealing with the headaches of a stadium that's seen its best days.
"We cannot do this without a private-public partnership," Dee told WFOR-TV in Miami. "At this time we have no intention of investing more."
Miami could also suffer a serious setback in its battles with Santa Clara and Houston to host an upcoming Super Bowl.
"We clearly have our work cut out for us," Dee added. "Having a stadium that's competitive is probably comparable to having a good quarterback when you're playing football. You can win without one, but it's hard to win regularly, and it's hard to beat a team that's got a good quarterback. And in this case we're playing a community [Santa Clara] that has a great quarterback, a brand-new stadium. Houston has a new stadium that's been renovated, so we're going to have to work hard."
Sun Life Stadium is 26 years old, and Ross was reportedly willing to pick up 70 percent of the $400 million in renovations he was seeking. That keft about $90 million the state is apparently unwilling to invest.
Orlando, Jacksonville and Daytona International Speedway all lost out in that they currently can't compete for state tax dollars/incentives, either.
- The Curse of Redskins
- Missouri Turns Down $700M Upgrade of Rams Home Field
- Redskins Eric Kettani Gets Hate Mail for Navy Deal
- Raiders Settle with ex-QB JaMarcus Russell for $3M
- Texans' Cushing: J.J. Watt could be best defensive player ever
- Ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez petition for bail denied
- Ex-coach Bill Parcells Regrets Leaving Patriots
- Jets Veterans Want Mark Sanchez to Start at Quarterback
- Ex-Giants, Jets punter Dave Jennings dead at 61
- 49ers Extend Justin Smith through 2015
- Radio Hosts Fired for Mocking Saints defensive back Steve Gleason
- Vladimir Putin denies Taking 2005 Super Bowl Ring without Permission
- Chad Johnson Released from Jail
- Jets Sign Tight End Kellen Winslow Jr to One-Year Deal
- Chargers Rusher Ryan Mathews Receives Hate Messages on Twitter
- Broncos Release Veteran Rusher Willis McGahee
- Patriots Give Tim Tebow's NFL Career a Boost
- Chad Johnson gets 30 days in jail for slapping lawyer's butt
- Hall of Famer Jim Brown Claims NFL Lags Behind NASCAR in Safety
- Quarterback JaMarcus Russell shows solid form in Bears tryout
- Jim Kelly Undergoes Successful Surgery for mouth-area cancer
- Super Bowl Champion Ravens Enjoy White House Visit
- Bill Belichick: 'I'm No Tim Tebow Hater'
- Vikings Rusher Adrian Peterson OK with having Gay Teammate
- Giants Jason Pierre-Paul Undergoes Back Surgery
- Legendary defensive end Deacon Jones dead at 74
- Bills great Jim Kelly believes he can overcome cancer
- Cowboys' Draft Board Exposed for the Second Time
- Browns Trent Richardson Will Not Be Hampered by Injuries
- Back Injury Puts Gronkowski Back on Operating Table
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
- Florida Legislature Rejects Funding for Sun Life Stadium Renovations
- Notre Dame Emerging as NFL Draft Pick Hotbed
- Council Member Seeks Name Change from Redskins to Redtails
- NFL Suspends Jaguars Wideout Justin Blackmon for Four Games
- Jets GM: 5 Remaining QBs to Compete for Starting Job
- Jets Cut Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Chiefs Pick Offensive Tackle Eric Fisher as Top Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL Draft 2013: Manti Te'o, Geno Smith First-Round Snubs
- Eagles Leapfrog Chiefs to Select Matt Barkley in Fourth-Round
- Aaron Rodgers Signs $110M Extension with Packers
- Hall of Famer Barry Sanders to Appear on 'Madden NFL 25' Cover
- Jets Cornerback Dealt: 'Revis Island' Now Attached to Tampa Bay
- Quarterback Mark Sanchez Blames Jets for Fueling Tebow Hype
- Bengals and James Harrison Agree to Two-Year Deal
- 2013 NFL Schedule Announced
- Packers Sign Clay Matthews to Five-Year Deal
- Jets Stall Darrelle Revis Trade Talks
- David Akers to Join Detroit Lions
- Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved