Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
Green Bay, WI
Free-agent defensive back Charles Woodson, cut by the Green Bay Packers six weeks ago, believes that NFL teams are shying away from him because of his age.
"I'm 36, so of course I'm considered ancient in the game right now, and teams are looking for younger players and trying to make their rosters younger," Woodson told NFL Network.
"If you're an older guy, they kind of push you to the side, and they'll maybe look at you much later on down the road, when I guess they figure they can get you much cheaper," he said.
Woodson earlier expressed interest in finding a new team but until now, no one has inquired about his services.
"Nothing right now, nothing substantial. I'm just waiting around. We put feelers out, just to see where everybody's at, but there's not much right now," Woodson said.
Woodson visited the San Francisco 49ers early in the offseason but left without a contract.
Despite this, Woodson believes that a team will take him on board this year, with the season still five months away.
Aside from Woodson, there are several mid- or late-30s players still looking for a job, including 34-year-old Brian Urlacher, who remains without a team after being released by the Chicago Bears.
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
- Florida Legislature Rejects Funding for Sun Life Stadium Renovations
- Notre Dame Emerging as NFL Draft Pick Hotbed
- Council Member Seeks Name Change from Redskins to Redtails
- NFL Suspends Jaguars Wideout Justin Blackmon for Four Games
- Jets GM: 5 Remaining QBs to Compete for Starting Job
- Jets Cut Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Chiefs Pick Offensive Tackle Eric Fisher as Top Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL Draft 2013: Manti Te'o, Geno Smith First-Round Snubs
- Eagles Leapfrog Chiefs to Select Matt Barkley in Fourth-Round
- Aaron Rodgers Signs $110M Extension with Packers
- Hall of Famer Barry Sanders to Appear on 'Madden NFL 25' Cover
- Jets Cornerback Dealt: 'Revis Island' Now Attached to Tampa Bay
- Quarterback Mark Sanchez Blames Jets for Fueling Tebow Hype
- Bengals and James Harrison Agree to Two-Year Deal
- 2013 NFL Schedule Announced
- Packers Sign Clay Matthews to Five-Year Deal
- Jets Stall Darrelle Revis Trade Talks
- David Akers to Join Detroit Lions
- Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
- Lions' Jason Hanson Retires After 21 Seasons
- Patriots QB Tom Brady Works Out with Terrell Owens
- Bills Sign Free-agent Quarterback Kevin Kolb
- Dolphins Sign Cornerback Brent Grimes
- Seahawks Consider Trading QB Matt Flynn for Draft Picks
- Patriots Rob Gronkowski to Respect Gay Teammates
- Cowboys and Romo Agree to Lucrative Extension Deal
- 49ers Wideout Michael Crabtree 'Blinded' by Hit During Super Bowl
- Ex-Southern Cal QB Matt Barkley throws for NFL Scouts
- Aaron Rodgers Close to Signing Extension with Packers
- Patriots Tight End Rob Gronkowski Allays Fears About Health
- Steelers Close Door on James Harrison
- Defensive End Osi Umenyiora to Join Falcons
- Surgeon Calls Redskins QB Griffin 'Superhuman' for Fast Recovery
- Bears sign ex-Bronco D.J. Williams to replace Urlacher
- Chicago Bears Part Ways with Brian Urlacher
- Ed Reed to Join Houston Texans
- Cowboys Step Up Contract Talks with Tony Romo
- NFL Owners Change Tuck Rule, Penalize Helmet Hits by Rushers
- Super Bowl Champion Ravens Look to Make Most of Roster Turnover
- Rex Ryan: There Will Be Competition for Jets Starting QB Job
- Titans Sign Former Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to two-year deal
- Bears Rusher Matt Forte Hits NFL's new proposal on Helmet Hits
- Free-agent Dustin Keller bolts Jets, joins Dolphins
- Running Back Steven Jackson to Join Atlanta Falcons
- NFL team owners to vote on 'tuck rule', five other proposals
- Wes Welker Joins Broncos on two-year deal
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved