A city council member is set to file a resolution seeking to change the Washington Redskins' monicker to Redtails.
David Grosso believes that it's time to change the team's current nickname, which he claims to be "a derogatory, racist name".
"It's been a long time that we've had this name associated with Washington, and I think it's time we take a stand and change it," said Grosso, who is circulating his resolution to other council members for co-sponsorships.
Currently, two council members -- Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) and Kenyan McDuffie (D-Ward 5) -- have agreed to support it.
Part of Grosso's resolution states that "district residents and their elected representatives should not tolerate commercial or other use of derogatory terminology relating to any people's racial identity, or which dishonors any person's race, or which dishonors the name Washington."
"Washington's name has been dishonored by association with the word 'Redskins,' " the resolution added. "… it is well known in America and in nations afar that American Indians have experienced utmost suffering and disrespect over the years."
In his resolution, Grosso urges the team to change its name to the Washington Redtails, the nickname used by the Tuskegee Airmen, the pioneering aviation unit that broke the color barrier for U.S. military pilots in World War II.
Recently, Mayor Vincent C. Gray said he would also like the name changed but Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and team officials have largely avoided the debate, indicating that they are not open to such a change.
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
- Florida Legislature Rejects Funding for Sun Life Stadium Renovations
- Notre Dame Emerging as NFL Draft Pick Hotbed
- Council Member Seeks Name Change from Redskins to Redtails
- NFL Suspends Jaguars Wideout Justin Blackmon for Four Games
- Jets GM: 5 Remaining QBs to Compete for Starting Job
- Jets Cut Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Chiefs Pick Offensive Tackle Eric Fisher as Top Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL Draft 2013: Manti Te'o, Geno Smith First-Round Snubs
- Eagles Leapfrog Chiefs to Select Matt Barkley in Fourth-Round
- Aaron Rodgers Signs $110M Extension with Packers
- Hall of Famer Barry Sanders to Appear on 'Madden NFL 25' Cover
- Jets Cornerback Dealt: 'Revis Island' Now Attached to Tampa Bay
- Quarterback Mark Sanchez Blames Jets for Fueling Tebow Hype
- Bengals and James Harrison Agree to Two-Year Deal
- 2013 NFL Schedule Announced
- Packers Sign Clay Matthews to Five-Year Deal
- Jets Stall Darrelle Revis Trade Talks
- David Akers to Join Detroit Lions
- Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
- Lions' Jason Hanson Retires After 21 Seasons
- Patriots QB Tom Brady Works Out with Terrell Owens
- Bills Sign Free-agent Quarterback Kevin Kolb
- Dolphins Sign Cornerback Brent Grimes
- Seahawks Consider Trading QB Matt Flynn for Draft Picks
- Patriots Rob Gronkowski to Respect Gay Teammates
- Cowboys and Romo Agree to Lucrative Extension Deal
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved