Green Bay, WI
Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has signed a five-year extension with the Green Bay Packers that made him the highest-paid player in the NFL.
According to a source with the knowledge of the contract, Rodgers signed a deal worth $110 million, with $40 million to be paid in the first year.
The first year of Rodgers' deal matches that New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees received last year while the total value of the contract and average yearly salary surpassed the deal signed by Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco last month.
The Packers did not reveal details of the contract, which will keep Rodgers in a Packers uniform until 2019.
"Aaron is a true professional and a special player," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement. "He works hard, is humble, and is focused on his actions, on and off the field."
"He is an excellent teammate and pushes himself and others to be the very best. We are happy to reach an agreement and extend his career with the Packers," Thompson said.
"Thanks to the Organization, coaching staff, teammates, Packer nation for last 8 years! Excited about 7 more!" Rodgers said on his Twitter account after the deal was announced
Rodgers is the second Packer to sign a contract extension this month, behind star linebacker Clay Matthews, who signed a five-year, $66 million deal, with $31 million guaranteed.
Rodgers backed up Brett Favre for three years before becoming the Packers starter in 2008. Since then, he has led the Packers to a Super Bowl title and won a league MVP award.
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
- Florida Legislature Rejects Funding for Sun Life Stadium Renovations
- Notre Dame Emerging as NFL Draft Pick Hotbed
- Council Member Seeks Name Change from Redskins to Redtails
- NFL Suspends Jaguars Wideout Justin Blackmon for Four Games
- Jets GM: 5 Remaining QBs to Compete for Starting Job
- Jets Cut Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Chiefs Pick Offensive Tackle Eric Fisher as Top Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL Draft 2013: Manti Te'o, Geno Smith First-Round Snubs
- Eagles Leapfrog Chiefs to Select Matt Barkley in Fourth-Round
- Aaron Rodgers Signs $110M Extension with Packers
- Hall of Famer Barry Sanders to Appear on 'Madden NFL 25' Cover
- Jets Cornerback Dealt: 'Revis Island' Now Attached to Tampa Bay
- Quarterback Mark Sanchez Blames Jets for Fueling Tebow Hype
- Bengals and James Harrison Agree to Two-Year Deal
- 2013 NFL Schedule Announced
- Packers Sign Clay Matthews to Five-Year Deal
- Jets Stall Darrelle Revis Trade Talks
- David Akers to Join Detroit Lions
- Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
- Lions' Jason Hanson Retires After 21 Seasons
- Patriots QB Tom Brady Works Out with Terrell Owens
- Bills Sign Free-agent Quarterback Kevin Kolb
- Dolphins Sign Cornerback Brent Grimes
- Seahawks Consider Trading QB Matt Flynn for Draft Picks
- Patriots Rob Gronkowski to Respect Gay Teammates
- Cowboys and Romo Agree to Lucrative Extension Deal
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved