Florham Park, NJ
New York Jets general manager John Idzik announced that the five remaining quarterbacks on the team's roster will fight it out for the starting job, including last year's starter Mark Sanchez.
"Mark's in the competition," Idzik told ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" show. "We fully expect it will help him get better. It'll help David (Garrard) get better. It'll help Greg (McElroy). It'll help Matt Simms. It'll certainly help Geno (Smith)."
The Jets had six quarterbacks in their fold when they selected Smith in the second round of the NFL Draft but the number dropped to five when they cut Tim Tebow.
According to a source, the plan is to bring Sanchez to training camp as his $8.25 million base salary is fully guaranteed.
The Jets would get stuck with a $12.4 million cap charge if they release Sanchez with a June 1 designation and there's no trade market for him because of his contract.
Meanwhile, Idzik said Smith will not be spared from the New York pressure even through he was drafted in the second round.
"Being he's in the New York market and at a high-profile position," Idzik said, "I think he's going to be center stage, regardless."
Later in the day, coach Rex Ryan reiterated Idzik's statement, saying that nothing will be handed to Sanchez.
"There's no guarantee Mark will be our starting quarterback," Ryan said. "That job will have to be earned."
Ryan also admitted the team dropped the ball with Tebow, who was acquired by the Jets from the Denver Broncos last season.
"We really didn't take advantage, in my opinion, of his skill set," he said. "Ultimately, that's my fault."
- Mark Sanchez Eyes Jets Starting QB Job with Garrard Retiring
- Manti Te'o Focused on Tasks with Chargers
- Team Owner Says Redskins Name to Remain
- Jaguars Fans: We Don't Want Tim Tebow
- Ronde Barber Ends 16-year NFL Career, Eyes TV Job
- Jets QB Geno Smith Says He Doesn't have Attitude Problem
- Tim Tebow Picked 2013's Most Influential Athlete
- Florida Legislature Rejects Funding for Sun Life Stadium Renovations
- Notre Dame Emerging as NFL Draft Pick Hotbed
- Council Member Seeks Name Change from Redskins to Redtails
- NFL Suspends Jaguars Wideout Justin Blackmon for Four Games
- Jets GM: 5 Remaining QBs to Compete for Starting Job
- Jets Cut Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Chiefs Pick Offensive Tackle Eric Fisher as Top Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL Draft 2013: Manti Te'o, Geno Smith First-Round Snubs
- Eagles Leapfrog Chiefs to Select Matt Barkley in Fourth-Round
- Aaron Rodgers Signs $110M Extension with Packers
- Hall of Famer Barry Sanders to Appear on 'Madden NFL 25' Cover
- Jets Cornerback Dealt: 'Revis Island' Now Attached to Tampa Bay
- Quarterback Mark Sanchez Blames Jets for Fueling Tebow Hype
- Bengals and James Harrison Agree to Two-Year Deal
- 2013 NFL Schedule Announced
- Packers Sign Clay Matthews to Five-Year Deal
- Jets Stall Darrelle Revis Trade Talks
- David Akers to Join Detroit Lions
- Defensive Back Charles Woodson Claims Teams Shying Away Due to Age
- Lions' Jason Hanson Retires After 21 Seasons
- Patriots QB Tom Brady Works Out with Terrell Owens
- Bills Sign Free-agent Quarterback Kevin Kolb
- Dolphins Sign Cornerback Brent Grimes
- Seahawks Consider Trading QB Matt Flynn for Draft Picks
- Patriots Rob Gronkowski to Respect Gay Teammates
- Cowboys and Romo Agree to Lucrative Extension Deal
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved