Quarterback Tony Romo did not practice as he continues to receive treatment on his ailing back as the Dallas Cowboys prepare for Sunday's NFC East title showdown against the Philadelphia Eagles.
According to coach Jason Garrett, Romo was feeling better but not "overly comfortable." Sources said Romo had an epidural to help alleviate the pain from his back.
"I saw him briefly today, and he's fighting through it," Garrett said. "He's certainly in a situation where he's trying to do everything he can to get himself back with the rehab process and treatment process, like any injured player would."
"He's a tough guy, as we saw the other day. We'll just see how he does," said Garrett, adding that the team "would not compromise him for now or for the future".
The Cowboys have not ruled Romo out of Sunday's game but sources said he will not play and instead, will undergo surgery to repair a herniated disk.
If Romo will not play, Kyle Orton will start for the Cowboys.
"We'll make our best medical decision, and we'll make our best football decision," Garrett said.
Jon Kitna joined the Cowboys on the practice field after his signing was finalized. Kitna has not played since 2011 and has been teaching and coaching in Tacoma, Washington since leaving the Cowboys.
The Cowboys worked out five quarterbacks: David Carr, John Skelton, Caleb Hanie, Tyler Thigpen and Richard Bartel.
FOX Football Daily reacts to Romo injury
Dallas coach Jason Garrett says Tony Romo hasn't been ruled out for a winner-take-all finale against Philadelphia after injuring his back against Washington. Garrett says that Romo will get treatment and be evaluated daily
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
- All on the Line in Final Weekend of Regular Season
- NFL 2013 Week 17: What To Look For
- Aaron Rodgers to Play for Packers in Bears Showdown
- Romo Undergoes Back Surgery, Out for Season
- Cowboys Coaches in Danger of Losing Jobs
- 2013 NFL Week 17: Playoff Scenarios
- Eagles Coach Chip Kelly Denies Texas Job Link
- NFL Executive Roots for Snow during Super Bowl XLVIII
- Players Think Rex Ryan Should Stay as Jets Coach
- Cowboys QB Tony Romo Still 'Fighting Through Injury'
- NFL 2013 Week 16: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: The Week That Was
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- Panthers and Saints Face Off in NFC South Matchup
- Chiefs Return Home to Face Indianapolis Colts
- Playoff Implications Abound as Ravens Host Patriots
- Seahawks Host Division Rival Cardinals
- Eagles Host Bears with Division Leads on the Line
- AFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks To Go
- NFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks To Go
- NFL 2013 Week 16: What To Look For
- NFL 2013 Week 15: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 15: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 15: The Week That Was
Article: Copyright © 2013, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Cowboys QB Tony Romo Still 'Fighting Through Injury' "