The Cleveland Browns won only four games this season and were the only team in the AFC North not to make the playoffs, so it goes without saying that they need help.
A closer look at some of the numbers associated with the past season shows that the Browns need the most help on offense, because in today's NFL, you just won't win if you don't put up a pretty good number of points.
Pat Shurmur is an offensive-minded coach and brought with him the West Coast offense. Team president Mike Holmgren is also an offensive-minded guy so they have to be working overtime figuring out what they need to do to put a spark in the Browns O.
Defense was the team's strength this season as the Browns were fifth in points allowed and 10th in the league in yards while the offense was 29th in yards and 30th in points scored (218).
General manager Tom Heckert used his first two picks in the 2010 draft on cornerback Joe Haden and safety T.J. Ward and in the 2011 draft he used his first two picks defensive tackle Phil Taylor and defensive end Jabaal Sheard.
Now it is time to look to the offensive side of the ball and with three picks in the top 37 this year, Heckert will have plenty of opportunities to help inject some life into Cleveland's listless attack.
Shurmur will have plenty to say as well and should have a better understanding of what he will need to make his offense work after a season as head coach.
"I have a much clearer picture of what this team is, of who my players are, of how our coaches and players interact," Shurmur said. "And I feel good going forward making some of the necessary changes that need to be made."
- Final Eight Take Center Stage In Divisional Playoffs
- Wild Card Weekend: A Look Back
- Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in Overtime
- Giants Too Much for Falcons, Move On to Face Packers
- Foster's Two TDs Power Texans Past Bengals
- Drew Brees, Saints Tame Lions
- Raiders Dismiss Head Coach Hue Jackson
- LaDainian Tomlinson 'Contemplating' Retirement
- Robert Griffin III Headed to NFL
- Colts Set Sights on Andrew Luck as No. 1 in NFL Draft
- Star Running Back LaMichael James Leaving Oregon for NFL
- Oklahoma's Landry Jones, Wisconsin's Ball Return For Senior Campaigns
- Browns Seek Playmaker at Number 4
- Cleveland Browns Need Plenty of Help in Rugged AFC North
- Chiefs Plan to Keep Romeo Crennel as Head Coach
- Parcells Heads Up Potential NFL Hall of Fame List
- Playoff Records, Facts, Figures and Milestones
- Regular Season Records and Milestones
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: What to Look For
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
- NFL Football Firings
- Chicago Bears Dismiss GM After Poor Finish
- Manning, Cruz Pass Giants Over Cowboys into Playoffs
- In Like Flynn: Backup QB Powers Packers Past Lions
- Vick Leads Eagles Past Redskins For Fourth Straight Victory
- Colt McCoy says he wants to stay with Browns
- Giants Defensive End Osi Umenyiora Returns to Practice
- Patriots, 49ers Rack Up Most Pro Bowlers
- AFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- 2012 NFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- All on the Line in Final Week of Regular Season
- 2011 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 17
- Packers Take Over for Cowboys as America's Team
- Blue Christmas: Brandon Jacobs Lays into Jets after Giants Win
- Victor Cruz, Ahmad Bradshaw Lead Way as Giants Take Down Jets
- Brees Sets NFL Passing Record as Saints Rip Falcons
- Packers Wrap Up Top Seed in NFC
- Chargers Quarterback Not Happy Team will Miss NFL Playoffs Again
Copyright 2012, AHN - All Rights Reserved