Seven From Sunday Kickoff Weekend
A look at seven statistical highlights from the first week of the 2011 season.
The three lickoff return touchdowns (Packers RANDALL COBB, 108 yards; 49ers TED GINN JR., 102 yards; Vikings PERCY HARVIN, 103 yards) so far in Week 1 tie for the most in NFL history on Kickoff Weekend (1970, 1998).
Ginn also had a 55-yard punt-return touchdown in the 49ers' 33-17 win over the Seattle Seahawks, becoming the first player to have a kickoff-return touchdown and punt-return touchdown in the same game on Kickoff Weekend. He is also the 12th player in NFL history to have both a KR-TD and PR-TD in the same game.
Most All-Time Wins on Kickoff Weekend
The CHICAGO BEARS, who defeated the Atlanta Falcons 30-12, have won 52 games on Kickoff Weekend, tied with the GREEN BAY PACKERS for the most wins all-time on Kickoff Weekend. The Bears also posted their 63rd win in home openers, the most in NFL history.
Vick Rushing Milestone
Philadelphia Eagles quarterback MICHAEL VICK had 98 rushing yards in the Eagles' 31-13 win over the St. Louis Rams. Vick now has 4,728 career rushing yards and joins RANDALL CUNNINGHAM (4,928) as the only quarterbacks in NFL history with at least 4,700 rushing yards.
Vick's 98 rushing yards were the second-most by a quarterback in a season opener. He holds the record with 103 rushing yards on Kickoff Weekend last year (September 12, 2010 against Green Bay).
Newton's Passing Debut
Carolina quarterback CAM NEWTON passed for 422 yards against the Arizona Cardinals in his NFL debut, tying Detroit Lions quarterback MATTHEW STAFFORD (422 on November 22, 2009) for the most passing yards in a game by a rookie quarterback in NFL history.
Newton's 422 passing yards are the most by a rookie quarterback on Kickoff Weekend in NFL history and fifth-most all-time by any player on Kickoff Weekend.
Baltimore safety ED REED had two interceptions in the Ravens' 35-7 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. Reed now has 12 games with at least two interceptions, the most by any player who began their career in the Super Bowl era.
Rookie Defensive Feats
Washington rookie linebacker RYAN KERRIGAN had a nine-yard interception-return touchdown in the Redskins 28-14 victory over the New York Giants. Kerrigan is the first rookie linebacker since 2002 (James Allen, September 8) to score a touchdown on Kickoff Weekend.
Texans Offensive Output
The HOUSTON TEXANS defeated the Indianapolis Colts 34-7 on Kickoff Weekend. The Texans became the first team since the 1994 Indianapolis Colts (35 points vs. Houston Oilers) to score at least 34 points in the first half of a game on Kickoff Weekend.
Billick: Week 1 Recap
Brady Throws for 517 Yards in Pats Victory
- Tom Brady Picks Up Where He Left Off: Shreds Dolphins Defense
- Records and Milestones Abound
- Seven From Sunday Kickoff Weekend
- Romo Sets Cowboys Up For Victory Before Giving Game Away
- Brian Urlacher and Jay Cutler Star as Bears Crush Falcons
- Bengals Score Two Late Touchdowns to Stun Browns
- Colt Mccoy Era Gets Off to Slow Start in Cleveland
- Rodgers 3 TD Strikes Help Packers Top Saints 42 - 34
- ESPN and NFL Extend Monday Night Football Deal through 2021
- Dallas Cowboys Top List of NFL's Most Valuable Teams
- Still Recovering Peyton Manning Won't Be Behind Center for Colts
- Super Bowl MVP Quarterbacks Meet in Thursday Night Kickoff
- AFC Quarterbacks Take Center Stage
- NFL to Remember Resilient Spirit of America on September 11
- Week 1 NFL 2011 Preview
- Colts Peyton Manning May Miss Season Opener
- Browns Pick Up Three Off Waivers to Prepare for Opener
- Tom Brady Won't Let So-So Preseason Affect Desire and Focus
- Hamstring Injury Makes Texans Arian Foster Iffy for Opener
- Kerry Collins Glad To Be A Colt
- Terrelle Pryor Expects to Join Raiders Soon
- Injuries are Giant Concern as Season Approaches
- Browns Defense Improving as Test with Eagles Awaits
- Plaxico Burress Catches Touchdown Pass For Jets in NFL Return
- Cardinals Offense Bolstered with Larry Fitzgerald's New Multi-Year Deal
- Return to Titletown
- Packers and Saints Kick Off NFL 2011 Season
- NFL 2011 Kickoff Weekend Streaks
- NFL 2011 Headline Games
- NFL 2011 Strength Of Schedule
- NFL 2011 Division Titles: Up For Grabs
- NFL 2011: From Worst to First
- Overtime Excitement
- Top Superlative? Run The Ball!
- Turnovers Are Key To Victory
- What to Look For in 2011 - Player Milestones
- Quarterback Success
- Peyton Manning
- Matt Ryan Keeps on Winning
- Young Quarterbacks on the Rise
- Protecting The Quarterback
- Quarterbacks of the Future
- Running Backs: Good Things Come in Pairs
- La Dainian Tomlinson Closes in on More TD Records
- Adrian Peterson Amassing the Rushing Numbers
- Chris Johnson Titanic Performance
- Arian Foster Tops NFL in Rushing
- Chiefs' Jamaal Charles in Charge
- Double Trouble Running Backs
- Big Play Excitement
- Receivers Making a Splash
- Tight Ends on the Rise
- Be-Ware of De Marcus Ware
- Thank Devin Hester
- Colts Look to Keep Playoff Streak Alive
- Best NFL Records: Past 10 Years
- London Year 5: Buccaneers vs Bears
- NFL 2011 - Total Miles Traveled
- NFL 2011 - Team Victories Milestones
- New NFL Rules For 2011 Season
- Super Bowl XLVI: Indianapolis to Host First Super Bowl
- The Forward Pass is Legalized
- NFL Marks Anniversary of Historic African-American Signings
- The 'Longest Game'
- Football's Popularity in High School Keeps Growing
- Eight Colleges to Add Football Programs in 2011
- Super Bowl Game Changing Interceptions
- Cam Newton Debuts: Panthers Rip Giants in Preseason Opener
- Colt McCoy Sharp as Browns Top Defending Champion Packers
- Andy Dalton Upbeat Despite Rough Start In QB Debut For Bengals
- Matthew Stafford Return Ignites Lions To Easy Preseason Win versus Bengals
- Mark Ingram Powers Saints in Knocking Out 49ers in Preseason
- Rex Grossman Off to Strong Start as Redskins Top Steelers
- Josh Freeman TD Run Sparks Bucs Preseason Win Over Chiefs
- Former Vikings Coach Brad Childress Opens Up About Tumultuous Time in Minnesota
- Rex Grossman Says Redskins Deep Enough To Win NFC East
- Spain Draws France in Qualifier for 2014 World Cup
- Chelios, Tkachuk, Suter Among U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Inductees
- Eagles Bold and Aggressive: Land Prized Free Agents
- New-Look Browns Could Get Boost From Rookie Receiver Greg Little
- Raiders Sign Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to Five-Year Deal
- Plaxico Burress Heading to Jets
- Giants Give Osi Umenyiora Permission to Seek Trade
- Giants Sign Ahmad Bradshaw to Four-Year Deal
- Jets Retain Antonio Cromartie
Copyright 2011, AHN - All Rights Reserved