Hits, Fines at Issue: Ravens Pollard Sees NFL's Demise in 30 years
Hard-hitting Baltimore Ravens safety Bernard Pollard is convinced that the NFL will suffer its demise in 30 years as fans might get tired of changes instituted to make the game safer.
"It's just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going -- where [NFL rules makers] want to lighten up, and they're throwing flags and everything else -- there's going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it," Pollard told CBSSports.com.
"Guys are getting fined, and they're talking about, 'Let's take away the strike zone' and 'Take the pads off' or 'Take the helmets off.' It's going to be a thing where fans aren't going to want to watch it anymore," he added.
While he understands the movement to make the game safer for players, Pollard said coaches are looking for players who are "stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you're going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees".
"The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field. We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks," Pollard said.
Known for his reputation as a hard hitter, Pollard was fined $15,250 for unnecessary roughness last week for his third-quarter hit on New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker in the Ravens' AFC Championship Game victory.
Pollard also received a 15-yard penalty on the play for striking an opponent in the head and neck area.
He also drew a crucial fumble when he knocked running back Stevan Ridley out of the game but did not receive a penalty or fine.
The issue on players safety has once again taken the spotlight after President Barack Obama told The New Republic that if he had a son, he would think long and hard before allowing him to play the sport.
Obama told the magazine that football fans are going to have to wrestle with the fact that the game will probably change over time to try to reduce the violence.
"And those of us who are fans maybe won't have to examine our consciences quite as much," Obama said.
In response, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL has "no higher priority than player health and safety at all levels of the game."
- Michael Vick Agrees to One-Year Restructured Deal with Eagles
- Newly Installed Device Blamed for Superdome Power Outage
- Eagles Plan to Keep Quarterback Michael Vick for Now
- Giants Waive Bradshaw and Canty to Clear Cap Space
- Ex-Saints Assistant Gregg Williams Reinstated, Joins Titans Coaching Staff
- Vikings RB Adrian Peterson Undergoes Surgery for Sports Hernia
- Ravens Celebrate Super Bowl XLVII Victory with Parade
- If Selected, Santa Clara Assures Power-Outage Free Super Bowl 50
- Joe Flacco, Justin Tucker Carry Ravens Past 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII
- Super Bowl XLVII Game Summary
- Flacco Named Super Bowl XLVII Most Valuable Player
- Jacoby Jones Has Record Night in Hometown Super Bowl
- Harbaugh: We've Got Resolve, That's Why We Won
- Super Bowl XLVII Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- 49ers Coach: 'It Was a Heck of a Football Game'
- 49ers Head Coach Jim Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- Super Bowl XLVII MVP Flacco: It's Pretty Cool
- Super Bowl XLVII MVP Joe Flacco Post-Game Interview
- Ravens QB Joe Flacco Caught Swearing on TV During Super Bowl Celebration
- Ravens John Harbaugh on the Turning Point of Super Bowl XLVII
- Video: Half of Super Dome Loses Power!
- Top Super Bowl XLVII Ads
- Unsung Heroes: Super Bowl XLVII
- Big-Time Moments from Super Bowl XLVII
- Playboy Super Bowl Party
- USA Today Picks Best Super Bowl XLVII Ads
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Samsung - Rudd vs Rogen
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Tide's Joe Montana Miracle Stain
- Go Daddy: 'The Kiss' Super Bowl XLVII TV Commercial
- Beyonce Reunites with Destiny's Child During Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Performance
- Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys Tweet About Super Bowl XLVII Performance
- Super Bowl XLVII: Records Set and Tied
- Jell-O: Still Sweet Delights for Losing Super Bowl XLVII Team's Fans
- Oh Brother! Coaching Harbaughs Downplay Super Bowl XLVII Rivalry
- Super Bowl XLVII Preview: Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers
- How the Ravens Broke Through
- James Brown Breaks Down Super Bowl XLVII
- The Super Bowl for Dummies
- Ravens Practice Pool Report - Jan 31, 2013
- 49ers Practice Pool Report - Jan 31, 2013
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials Preview
- What Does a Super Bowl Ad Cost?
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: E-Trade Baby Has Time of His Life
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Go Daddy - Refaeli's Serious Lip-Lock with a Nerd
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Teaser Super Bowl Ads Add Hype
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Rogen and Rudd's Ideas Stifled in Super Bowl Ad
- Behind-the-scenes of Got Milk's First Super Bowl Ad
- Doritos Crash the Superbowl Contest
- Best Super Bowl XLVII Ads Preview
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Big Money SBXLVII Ads
- Nantz and Simms on Calling Super Bowl XLVII
- Ravens react to Ray Lewis PED story
- Ravens Practice Pool Report - Jan 30, 2013
- 49ers Practice Pool Report - Jan 30, 2013
- 49ers Randy Moss Unhappy in His Role
- Super Bowl Rings on Display at the NFL Experience
- NFL Intensifies Crackdown, Nets $13.6M Worth of Fake Merchandise
- Packers Wide Receiver Donald Driver Announces Retirement
- 49ers Cornerback Culliver Against Having Gay Teammates
- Carolina Panthers Ask State for $62M for Stadium Renovation
- Falcons Want Tight End Tony Gonzalez to Forgo Retirement
- Joe Flacco in Hot Water for 'Winter Bowl' Comment
- Kickers Could Play Major Role in Super Bowl
- 49ers Cool and Calm During Super Bowl Media Day
- Talking with the 49ers at Super Bowl Media Day
- Weirdest Super Bowl Prop Bets
- Placing Bets on the Super Bowl
- Coach Speak: 'D' the Key for 49ers
- Viral Video: Celebrity genie in Toyota's Super Bowl Spot
- Is Volkswagen's Super Bowl Ad Racist?
- Super Bowl XLVII: Ravens Coach Harbaugh on Media Day
- Ravens' Flacco on Super Bowl XLVII
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis Denies Using PEDs to Heal Torn Triceps
- Majority of NFL Players Unhappy with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- Hits, Fines at Issue: Ravens Pollard Sees NFL's Demise in 30 years
- Bettors Put Their Money on 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick
- Niners Wideout Michael Crabtree Won't Face Sex Assault Charges
- Wideout Titus Young Continues Twitter Rant vs Lions
- NFL Pressured Man to Give Up 'Harbowl' Trademark
- Joe Flacco Answers His Critics
- Can the 49ers Contain Ray Rice?
- Kaepernick on Tattoos, Alex Smith and His New Verb
- 49ers Quarterback Gives Back To Hometown of Turlock
- Baltimore Has Purple Fever, And Only Prescription is More Ravens
- Ravens Preparing for Matchup With 49ers
- 49er Fever
- Harbaugh Family Talks Brother vs Brother Super Bowl
- Harbaugh Family Reacts to Brothers Coaching Super Bowl Teams
- Ravens Ozzie Newsome on Ray Lewis
- Super Bowl XLVII Predictions
- Superbowl Commercial Season Starts Pre-Game
- Dog Tries to Win Doritos Super Bowl Contest
- Kate Upton's Sexy Super Bowl Ad
- Super Bowl Ads: The Best and The Worst
- Ravens Safety Ed Reed to Play Next Season
- Cap-Strapped Jets May Be Forced to Trade Darrelle Revis
- Gore Cementing Status in 49ers Backfield Lore
- Super Bowl XLVII Sibling Rivalry
- Incredible Hulk Raven Spreads Purple Pride Around Baltimore
- Tattoo Artist Cashing In as Kaepernick Gains Fame
- Kaepernick's Parents on Tattoos, Dating
- Anheuser-Busch's Super Bowl Ad Moves
- Fans Full Of Pride As Ravens Head To Super Bowl XLVII
- Fans Wait For Hours To Greet Their Favorite Ravens
- Ex-Raider Tim Brown Says Coach Callahan Sabotaged Super Bowl XXXVII
- Suspension Over, Sean Peyton Reinstated as Saints Coach
- Backing Away: Jets Owner Suggests He Disliked Tim Tebow Trade
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet