Ex-Raider Tim Brown Says Coach Callahan Sabotaged Super Bowl XXXVII
Former Oakland Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown has accused his head coach Bill Callahan of "sabotaging" the team in Super Bowl XXXVII for changing the game plan at the last minute, resulting in a 48-21 loss to the Jon Gruden-coached Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
During an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Brown said that when the Raiders got the game plan on the Monday before the Super Bowl, it was a run-heavy attack taking advantage of Oakland's size advantage on the offensive line.
However, Brown claimed Callahan scrapped the plan Friday to the shock of the team.
"We all called it sabotage ... because Callahan and Gruden were good friends. And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came because Gruden made him come," Brown claimed.
Gruden was the head coach of the Raiders from 1998-2001, and Callahan was his offensive coordinator. When Gruden transferred to Tampa for the 2002 season, Callahan was made head coach. The two then ended up facing each other in the Super Bowl.
Brown later tried to downplay the word "sabotage" during an interview with "The Ben and Skin Show" on 103.3 ESPN Radio in Dallas. However, he still implied the facts of the situation leave many questions about Callahan's loyalty at the time to the Raiders.
"I don't think he would have sabotaged the Super Bowl but and this is the problem we have, because of his relationship with Gruden, because of his disdain for the Raider organization, that s what makes people get to that conclusion," Brown said.
He clarified that he used "sabotage" because it was the word thrown around the Raiders' locker room.
The receiver also made the same accusation against Callahan four years ago on the morning of the Super Bowl.
However, Brown maintained that he was expressing his opinion and had no proof that Callahan intentionally doomed his own team.
"You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can't say for a fact that that's what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl," Brown said. "He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl. That's hard to say, because you can't prove it."
However, another former Raiders offensive player who requested anonymity, disagreed with Brown.
"No, he (Tim) isn't right. While there was always dysfunction, that didn't happen. If anything Bill wanted to kick Jon's a--. Nobody would do that. Brutal. We got out-played and out-coached. Period," the former player wrote in the text to ESPN.com.
Running back Zack Crockett, who also was on that Raiders team and is now a scout for the team, said he thought Callahan changed the game plan only because of center Barret Robbins' disappearance.
Robbins disappeared from the team in the days before the game and did not play.
SI.com's Peter King answers tweets from his Twitter followers including his thoughts on Bill Callahan's "sabotage" of Super Bowl XXXVII
Callahan throwing Super Bowl would be 'insane'
- Michael Vick Agrees to One-Year Restructured Deal with Eagles
- Newly Installed Device Blamed for Superdome Power Outage
- Eagles Plan to Keep Quarterback Michael Vick for Now
- Giants Waive Bradshaw and Canty to Clear Cap Space
- Ex-Saints Assistant Gregg Williams Reinstated, Joins Titans Coaching Staff
- Vikings RB Adrian Peterson Undergoes Surgery for Sports Hernia
- Ravens Celebrate Super Bowl XLVII Victory with Parade
- If Selected, Santa Clara Assures Power-Outage Free Super Bowl 50
- Joe Flacco, Justin Tucker Carry Ravens Past 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII
- Super Bowl XLVII Game Summary
- Flacco Named Super Bowl XLVII Most Valuable Player
- Jacoby Jones Has Record Night in Hometown Super Bowl
- Harbaugh: We've Got Resolve, That's Why We Won
- Super Bowl XLVII Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- 49ers Coach: 'It Was a Heck of a Football Game'
- 49ers Head Coach Jim Harbaugh Post-Game Comments
- Super Bowl XLVII MVP Flacco: It's Pretty Cool
- Super Bowl XLVII MVP Joe Flacco Post-Game Interview
- Ravens QB Joe Flacco Caught Swearing on TV During Super Bowl Celebration
- Ravens John Harbaugh on the Turning Point of Super Bowl XLVII
- Video: Half of Super Dome Loses Power!
- Top Super Bowl XLVII Ads
- Unsung Heroes: Super Bowl XLVII
- Big-Time Moments from Super Bowl XLVII
- Playboy Super Bowl Party
- USA Today Picks Best Super Bowl XLVII Ads
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Samsung - Rudd vs Rogen
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Tide's Joe Montana Miracle Stain
- Go Daddy: 'The Kiss' Super Bowl XLVII TV Commercial
- Beyonce Reunites with Destiny's Child During Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Performance
- Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys Tweet About Super Bowl XLVII Performance
- Super Bowl XLVII: Records Set and Tied
- Jell-O: Still Sweet Delights for Losing Super Bowl XLVII Team's Fans
- Oh Brother! Coaching Harbaughs Downplay Super Bowl XLVII Rivalry
- Super Bowl XLVII Preview: Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers
- How the Ravens Broke Through
- James Brown Breaks Down Super Bowl XLVII
- The Super Bowl for Dummies
- Ravens Practice Pool Report - Jan 31, 2013
- 49ers Practice Pool Report - Jan 31, 2013
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials Preview
- What Does a Super Bowl Ad Cost?
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: E-Trade Baby Has Time of His Life
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Go Daddy - Refaeli's Serious Lip-Lock with a Nerd
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Teaser Super Bowl Ads Add Hype
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Rogen and Rudd's Ideas Stifled in Super Bowl Ad
- Behind-the-scenes of Got Milk's First Super Bowl Ad
- Doritos Crash the Superbowl Contest
- Best Super Bowl XLVII Ads Preview
- Super Bowl XLVII Commercials: Big Money SBXLVII Ads
- Nantz and Simms on Calling Super Bowl XLVII
- Ravens react to Ray Lewis PED story
- Ravens Practice Pool Report - Jan 30, 2013
- 49ers Practice Pool Report - Jan 30, 2013
- 49ers Randy Moss Unhappy in His Role
- Super Bowl Rings on Display at the NFL Experience
- NFL Intensifies Crackdown, Nets $13.6M Worth of Fake Merchandise
- Packers Wide Receiver Donald Driver Announces Retirement
- 49ers Cornerback Culliver Against Having Gay Teammates
- Carolina Panthers Ask State for $62M for Stadium Renovation
- Falcons Want Tight End Tony Gonzalez to Forgo Retirement
- Joe Flacco in Hot Water for 'Winter Bowl' Comment
- Kickers Could Play Major Role in Super Bowl
- 49ers Cool and Calm During Super Bowl Media Day
- Talking with the 49ers at Super Bowl Media Day
- Weirdest Super Bowl Prop Bets
- Placing Bets on the Super Bowl
- Coach Speak: 'D' the Key for 49ers
- Viral Video: Celebrity genie in Toyota's Super Bowl Spot
- Is Volkswagen's Super Bowl Ad Racist?
- Super Bowl XLVII: Ravens Coach Harbaugh on Media Day
- Ravens' Flacco on Super Bowl XLVII
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis Denies Using PEDs to Heal Torn Triceps
- Majority of NFL Players Unhappy with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- Hits, Fines at Issue: Ravens Pollard Sees NFL's Demise in 30 years
- Bettors Put Their Money on 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick
- Niners Wideout Michael Crabtree Won't Face Sex Assault Charges
- Wideout Titus Young Continues Twitter Rant vs Lions
- NFL Pressured Man to Give Up 'Harbowl' Trademark
- Joe Flacco Answers His Critics
- Can the 49ers Contain Ray Rice?
- Kaepernick on Tattoos, Alex Smith and His New Verb
- 49ers Quarterback Gives Back To Hometown of Turlock
- Baltimore Has Purple Fever, And Only Prescription is More Ravens
- Ravens Preparing for Matchup With 49ers
- 49er Fever
- Harbaugh Family Talks Brother vs Brother Super Bowl
- Harbaugh Family Reacts to Brothers Coaching Super Bowl Teams
- Ravens Ozzie Newsome on Ray Lewis
- Super Bowl XLVII Predictions
- Superbowl Commercial Season Starts Pre-Game
- Dog Tries to Win Doritos Super Bowl Contest
- Kate Upton's Sexy Super Bowl Ad
- Super Bowl Ads: The Best and The Worst
- Ravens Safety Ed Reed to Play Next Season
- Cap-Strapped Jets May Be Forced to Trade Darrelle Revis
- Gore Cementing Status in 49ers Backfield Lore
- Super Bowl XLVII Sibling Rivalry
- Incredible Hulk Raven Spreads Purple Pride Around Baltimore
- Tattoo Artist Cashing In as Kaepernick Gains Fame
- Kaepernick's Parents on Tattoos, Dating
- Anheuser-Busch's Super Bowl Ad Moves
- Fans Full Of Pride As Ravens Head To Super Bowl XLVII
- Fans Wait For Hours To Greet Their Favorite Ravens
- Ex-Raider Tim Brown Says Coach Callahan Sabotaged Super Bowl XXXVII
- Suspension Over, Sean Peyton Reinstated as Saints Coach
- Backing Away: Jets Owner Suggests He Disliked Tim Tebow Trade
- NFC Championship Game: A Look Back
- AFC Championship Game: A Look Back
- 49ers, Ravens Topple Respective Foes, Arrange Harbaugh Bowl
- Flacco Outduels Brady as Ravens Advance to Super Bowl XLVII
- Frank Gore Stars as 49ers Down Falcons; Advance to Super Bowl XLVII
- Jets Hire Ex-Seahawks Executive John Idzik as New General Manager
- NFL's Fantastic Four Ready for Championship Weekend
- NFC Championship Game Preview: 49ers at Falcons
- AFC Championship Game Preview: Ravens at Patriots
- NFC Championship Game Capsule: 49ers at Falcons
- NFC Championship Game: What To Look For
- AFC Championship Game: What To Look For
- AFC Championship Game Capsule: Ravens at Patriots
- Cardinals Hire Ex-Colts Assistant Bruce Arians as Head Coach
- Jaguars Select Gus Bradley as New Head Coach
- Browns Hire Norv Turner as Offensive Coordinator
- NFL Bound: Bears Hire CFL Coach Marc Trestman
- Chargers Hire Broncos Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy as Head Coach
- Chip Kelly leaves Oregon to coach NFL's Eagles
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved