Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
Despite being the only unbeaten team in the nation, Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer admitted that there's work to be done before the Buckeyes can match with national champion Alabama.
"I don't like to deal in speculation, but I think we're a very good team that can compete with any team in the country. I said even after the last game, that's where I believe we are," Meyer said.
"But to say we could roll in there and beat a team like that, first of all I don't want to speculate, and then if I was going to give you a honest answer, I think right now we have too many holes to fill," Meyer added.
Meyer has watched the only game the Crimson Tide lost this season against Texas A&M several times and it has given him the idea on how to improve the Buckeyes for their next campaign.
In Meyer's second season, the Buckeyes need to rebuild their defensive line completely after losing seven starters from their undefeated run.
Meyer needs to find two starting linebackers and must also identify a group of leaders to fill the considerable void left by veterans such as John Simon and Zach Boren.
While Meyer admitted there would be lofty goals set for his second season at Ohio State, he also clarified that his current set of players needs a lot of improvement to match last season's undefeated run.
"For example, are you guys going to go do this again next year? No, probably not unless we get a lot better -- like, a lot better. Fundamentally we are not where we need to be," Meyer said.
"For me to say we have to get to the national championship next year, that's like talking about we have to go fly to the moon. We're nowhere near even having that conversation," he added.
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
- Cotton Bowl 'Prohibitive Favorite' to Host BCS Title Game in 2015
- Coach Bill O'Brien: Remaining at Penn State Not About Money
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved