UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
Los Angeles, CA
Head football coach Jim Mora and UCLA have agreed to a one-year contract extension through the 2017 season, quashing rumors that he would leave for another coaching gig with another school or the NFL.
The university did not release the terms of the deal, which will add to the original five-year, $12 million contract that Mora signed when he joined the Bruins before last season.
"First and foremost, I want to thank (athletic director) Dan Guerrero for his commitment to me and my staff, and our shared belief that we are on the road to creating something very special," Mora said in a statement.
"I believe UCLA will win championships. The 2012 team established a foundation which will launch us forward. Our staff, our returning players, our administration, and the entire Bruin community are pulling together in an effort to win championships," he added.
Before signing the extension, Mora was rumored to be courted by the San Diego Chargers to fill their head coaching void. Also, it was reported that several schools were interested in Mora's services.
In his first season with the Bruins, Mora led UCLA to a 9-5 record, the Pac-12 South title and UCLA's first victory over USC since 2006. The Bruins lost to Baylor in the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl, but certainly appeared to be a team on the rise after going 34-43 in the previous six seasons.
"What Jim Mora has accomplished in just one season as our head coach is remarkable," Guerrero said in a statement. "The wins, the Pac-12 South Championship, and the bowl berth were accompanied by an equally impressive performance by the team in the classroom and in the community."
Before moving to the college ranks, Mora spent the previous 25 years of his coaching career in the NFL, including head coaching stints with the Atlanta Falcons and the Seattle Seahawks.
"Jim and I will continue to work closely as partners to enhance all aspects of the program moving forward so that we may continue to compete at the highest level," Guerrero said. "We are thrilled with Jim's commitment to our student-athletes and to this university."
Aside from giving Mora a contract extension, the university is also negotiating salary increases for his assistants and working to upgrade football facilities, including an on-campus training site.
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
- Cotton Bowl 'Prohibitive Favorite' to Host BCS Title Game in 2015
- Coach Bill O'Brien: Remaining at Penn State Not About Money
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- 'Catholic 7' Expected to Cash in on College Hoops TV Deal
- Bo Wallace Leads Ole Miss Past Pittsburgh in Compass Bowl
- Johnny Manziel Leads Texas A&M Past Oklahoma in Cotton Bowl
- Notre Dame Top Football Recruiter After Getting QB Max Redfield
- Bob O'Brien to Stay at Penn State After Browns Interview
- Mariota Shines as Oregon Tops K-State in Fiesta Bowl
- Alabama Center Barrett Jones 'Ready to Roll' vs Notre Dame
- Notre Dame and Alabama Prep for BCS Championship
- Oregon Coach Chip Kelly to Focus on Fiesta Bowl Before NFL Possibilities
- Louisville Upsets Florida 33-23 in Sugar Bowl
- Florida State Dominates Northern Illinois 31-10 in Orange Bowl
- Stanford Wins Rose Bowl 20-14 Over Wisconsin
- Northwestern Ends Bowl Drought with Win Over Mississippi State
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved