Texas A&M Rewards Kevin Sumlin with Pay Increase
College Station, TX
For leading Texas A&M to an 11-2 record and a Cotton Bowl title in his first season, the Aggies have rewarded head coach Kevin Sumlin with a pay increase and contract extension through 2017.
Texas A&M athletic director Eric Hyman said the agreement in principle includes increased "compensation packages" for the Aggie assistant football coaches.
Hyman did not disclose any amount but added the agreements are pending Board of Regents approval, which will come during a meeting on Feb. 1.
Hired from Houston in December 2011 to replace the fired Mike Sherman, Sumlin originally signed for five years at $2 million a year, tied with Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Ole Miss' Hugh Freeze as the lowest paid coach in the conference.
Including incentives, Sumlin earned $2.4 million, making him the second-lowest paid coach among current SEC head coaches.
With the help of a Heisman Award-winning year from Johnny Manziel, turned the Aggies around immediately, improving from their 7-6 record in 2011 to an 11-2 mark in 2012.
They went 6-2 in conference play in their first SEC season, capped by a 41-13 win over Oklahoma in the AT&T Cotton Bowl.
- Utah Hires Dennis Erickson as Co-offensive Coordinator
- Nike Co-Founder Now Believes Freeh Report Tarnished Paterno's Reputation
- Big East Eyes Split with 'Catholic 7' before 2014 Season
- Sue Paterno Defends Late Husband in Letter to Penn State Players
- Committee of 14-20 Members to Decide BCS Four-team Football Semifinal
- Judge Rejects NCAA Motion to Stop Anti-Trust Suit Filed by Ex-Players
- Football Schools to Fight for Big East Brand
- Manti Te'o and Looking Down at The Screen Decade
- NCAA Investigates Own Enforcement Program
- Te'o Claims Sorrow For Death of 'Girlfriend' Was Real
- Florida State QBs Coach Joins Miami as Offensive Coordinator
- LSU Gives Les Miles Two-Year Extension, Pay Raise
- Diane O'Meara Speaks About Te'o girlfriend Hoax
- Manti Te'o Breaks His Silence
- Businesses Try to Cash in on Manti Te'o Hoax
- Manti Te'o Denies Having Part in Girlfriend Hoax
- Texas A&M Rewards Kevin Sumlin with Pay Increase
- Oregon Promotes Offensive Coordinator Mark Helfrich to Head Coach
- Virginia Tech Completes Football Coaching Staff Overhaul
- Mississippi Prep Wideout Laquon Treadwell Commits to Ole Miss
- Man Reportedly Confessed Manti Te'o Girlfriend Hoax to Friend
- Chip Kelly leaves Oregon to coach NFL's Eagles
- Heisman Hopeful's Hoax? Notre Dame's Te'o Girlfriend's Death is Fake
- Quarterback Logan Thomas Staying at Virginia Tech
- Standout Prep Defensive End Tim Williams Commits to Alabama
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved