Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
South Bend, IN
Notre Dame running back Cierre Wood has announced that he will join the NFL Draft, claiming it "was the right decision that would most benefit my family".
Ranked 16th among running back draft prospects by ESPN Scouts, Wood ran for 742 yards and four touchdowns this season, averaging 6.5 yards per carry for the Fighting Irish.
"Having to make a decision like whether to stay in school or leave to pursue a lifelong dream of playing in the NFL is never simple," Wood said in a statement released by Notre Dame.
"I had to weigh many factors over the last month, but ultimately it came down to what I felt was the right decision that would most benefit my family," he added.
Wood has a one-year-old daughter, which was a factor in his decision.
The 6-foor, 215-pound Wood ran for 1,705 yards and 12 touchdowns in his first two seasons.
However, he was limited to two yards on four carries in Notre Dame's 42-14 loss to Alabama in the BCS national title game.
A source said Wood has been told that he could end up as a third-round draft choice, but he hopes to improve his chances of being drafted in earlier rounds with workouts.
"Cierre has been an important member of our football team in my three years at Notre Dame and I appreciate all he did to help get our program back on top," Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said.
"I wish him well in the future and hope he has a successful playing career at the next level," Kelly added.
- Utah Hires Dennis Erickson as Co-offensive Coordinator
- Nike Co-Founder Now Believes Freeh Report Tarnished Paterno's Reputation
- Big East Eyes Split with 'Catholic 7' before 2014 Season
- Sue Paterno Defends Late Husband in Letter to Penn State Players
- Committee of 14-20 Members to Decide BCS Four-team Football Semifinal
- Judge Rejects NCAA Motion to Stop Anti-Trust Suit Filed by Ex-Players
- Football Schools to Fight for Big East Brand
- Manti Te'o and Looking Down at The Screen Decade
- NCAA Investigates Own Enforcement Program
- Te'o Claims Sorrow For Death of 'Girlfriend' Was Real
- Florida State QBs Coach Joins Miami as Offensive Coordinator
- LSU Gives Les Miles Two-Year Extension, Pay Raise
- Diane O'Meara Speaks About Te'o girlfriend Hoax
- Manti Te'o Breaks His Silence
- Businesses Try to Cash in on Manti Te'o Hoax
- Manti Te'o Denies Having Part in Girlfriend Hoax
- Texas A&M Rewards Kevin Sumlin with Pay Increase
- Oregon Promotes Offensive Coordinator Mark Helfrich to Head Coach
- Virginia Tech Completes Football Coaching Staff Overhaul
- Mississippi Prep Wideout Laquon Treadwell Commits to Ole Miss
- Man Reportedly Confessed Manti Te'o Girlfriend Hoax to Friend
- Chip Kelly leaves Oregon to coach NFL's Eagles
- Heisman Hopeful's Hoax? Notre Dame's Te'o Girlfriend's Death is Fake
- Quarterback Logan Thomas Staying at Virginia Tech
- Standout Prep Defensive End Tim Williams Commits to Alabama
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
- Cotton Bowl 'Prohibitive Favorite' to Host BCS Title Game in 2015
- Coach Bill O'Brien: Remaining at Penn State Not About Money
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved