Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer has pocketed $150,000 after No. 1 Notre Dame lost to No. 2 Alabama in the BCS National Championship.
Meyer, a former Notre Dame assistant coach, did not bet on the game but the Fighting Irish's 42-14 loss to the Crimson Tide moved the Buckeyes to No. 3 in the final ranking, giving him a $150,000 bonus based on his amended contract.
Meyer actually had a chance to pocket $250,000 if the Buckeyes ended in the No. 2 spot but they were beaten by Oregon to the spot after a convincing Fiesta Bowl victory over Kansas State.
The Buckeyes were banned from postseason play as part of punishment handed to the school during Jim Tressel's tenure as coach.
Alabama coach Nick Saban, the highest-paid coach at $5.3 million per year, will get a $200,000 bonus for finishing No. 1 aside from the $110,000 bonus he earned for getting his team to the game.
Florida's top 10 finish has given coach Will Muschamp a $50,000 bonus. Rival Florida State finished eighth in the coaches' poll to secure coach Jimbo Fisher a $50,000 bonus.
Oregon's Chip Kelly gets an automatic one-year extension worth at least $4 million for leading the Ducks to at least 11 wins.
South Carolina's victory over Michigan in the Outback Bowl has given coach Steve Spurrier $200,000 bonus while Kansas State's Bill Snyder settled for a $50,000 bonus after the Wildcats finished outside the top 10.
Louisville's victory over Florida led the Cardinals to a No. 13 ranking, which gives coach Charlie Strong a $25,000 bonus.
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
- Cotton Bowl 'Prohibitive Favorite' to Host BCS Title Game in 2015
- Coach Bill O'Brien: Remaining at Penn State Not About Money
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- 'Catholic 7' Expected to Cash in on College Hoops TV Deal
- Bo Wallace Leads Ole Miss Past Pittsburgh in Compass Bowl
- Johnny Manziel Leads Texas A&M Past Oklahoma in Cotton Bowl
- Notre Dame Top Football Recruiter After Getting QB Max Redfield
- Bob O'Brien to Stay at Penn State After Browns Interview
- Mariota Shines as Oregon Tops K-State in Fiesta Bowl
- Alabama Center Barrett Jones 'Ready to Roll' vs Notre Dame
- Notre Dame and Alabama Prep for BCS Championship
- Oregon Coach Chip Kelly to Focus on Fiesta Bowl Before NFL Possibilities
- Louisville Upsets Florida 33-23 in Sugar Bowl
- Florida State Dominates Northern Illinois 31-10 in Orange Bowl
- Stanford Wins Rose Bowl 20-14 Over Wisconsin
- Northwestern Ends Bowl Drought with Win Over Mississippi State
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved