Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
Oregon head coach Chip Kelly has decided to stay with the Ducks, skipping another chance to mentor in the NFL.
Courted by several teams, Kelly looked ready make a jump to the NFL but later changed his mind after long meetings with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Cleveland Browns.
It was reported that Oregon booster and Nike co-founder Phil Knight made a strong push to keep Kelly with the Ducks.
A source said that Knight played a substantial role in Kelly's decision to stay with the Ducks.
Kelly recently led the second-ranked Ducks to a Fiesta Bowl title after beating the Kansas State Wildcats.
Last year, Kelly also pondered a move to the NFL, entertaining an offer from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers but later changed his mind, saying the college ranks were a better fit.
With Kelly's decision, the Eagles and the Browns are back to square one in their search for a new coach.
Aside from Kelly, the Browns and Eagles were eyeing Doug Marrone but they were beaten to the punch by the Buffalo Bills.
Another coaching prospect, Penn State's Bill O'Brien, has decided to stay with the Nittany Lions.
The Eagles also interviewed Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, Falcons special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong and Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.
Philadelphia is also eyeing Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.
The Browns, for their part, met with Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton and former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
- Cotton Bowl 'Prohibitive Favorite' to Host BCS Title Game in 2015
- Coach Bill O'Brien: Remaining at Penn State Not About Money
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- 'Catholic 7' Expected to Cash in on College Hoops TV Deal
- Bo Wallace Leads Ole Miss Past Pittsburgh in Compass Bowl
- Johnny Manziel Leads Texas A&M Past Oklahoma in Cotton Bowl
- Notre Dame Top Football Recruiter After Getting QB Max Redfield
- Bob O'Brien to Stay at Penn State After Browns Interview
- Mariota Shines as Oregon Tops K-State in Fiesta Bowl
- Alabama Center Barrett Jones 'Ready to Roll' vs Notre Dame
- Notre Dame and Alabama Prep for BCS Championship
- Oregon Coach Chip Kelly to Focus on Fiesta Bowl Before NFL Possibilities
- Louisville Upsets Florida 33-23 in Sugar Bowl
- Florida State Dominates Northern Illinois 31-10 in Orange Bowl
- Stanford Wins Rose Bowl 20-14 Over Wisconsin
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet.com