Brendon Kay Tosses Four TD strikes as Cincinnati Wins Belk Bowl
Senior quarterback Brendon Kay fired four touchdown passes, including a bowl-record 83-yard go-ahead score, as Cincinnati recovered from a 16-point deficit in the first quarter to beat Duke, 48-34, and bag the Belk Bowl Thursday at Bank of America Stadium.
Kay completed 17 of 25 passes for 332 yards and his fourth touchdown pass to senior tight end Travis Kelce put the Bearcats ahead with 44 seconds left en route to their fifth straight 10-win season.
Linebacker Nick Temple intercepted Sean Renfree's pass and returned it for a 55-yard yard touchdown with 14 seconds left to seal the win.
Kay also rushed for 76 yards on 10 carries while running back George Winn rushed for 130 yards on 16 carries and a touchdown for the Bearcats.
Kelce led the receiving corps with 123 yards on five catches and wide receiver Anthony McClung tallied 110 yards on three catches and a score. Ralph Abernathy and Chris Moore were the recipient of Key's two other touchdown passes.
Renfree finished 37 for 49 for Belk Bowl-record 358 yards and a touchdown but had two crucial interceptions that dashed the Blue Devils' hopes of clinching their first bowl victory since 1961.
Sophomore quarterback Brandon Connette threw for a touchdown and added a rushing score while cornerback Tony Foster recovered a blocked punt in the endzone for a score for the Blue Devils, who finished the season with a 6-7 record.
Conner Vernon led the Blue Devils' receiving corps with 119 yards on 10 catches and a touchdown and tight end David Reeves caught a two-yard touchdown pass from Connette.
The Blue Devils stormed to a 16-0 lead in the first period before the Bearcats scored 27 unanswered points, sparked by a 45-yard field goal from Tony Milano, to take a 27-16 lead in the third period.
Renfree and Connette then threw back-to-back touchdown heaves to put the Blue Devils ahead, 31-27.
Kay threw a scoring strike to Moore but Ross Martin buried a 52-yard field goal to tie the game at 34.
Then, Kay delivered the go-ahead touchdown pass to Kelce and Temple's 55-yard touchdown interception return drove the final nail in the Blue Devils' coffin.
Duke committed four turnovers including two in the red zone as the Blue Devils fell in heartbreaking fashion 48-34 to Cincinnati in the Belk Bowl. In the loss, Duke racked up 560 yards of total offense.
Belk Bowl: Cincinnati vs Duke Highlights 2012
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
- Cotton Bowl 'Prohibitive Favorite' to Host BCS Title Game in 2015
- Coach Bill O'Brien: Remaining at Penn State Not About Money
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- 'Catholic 7' Expected to Cash in on College Hoops TV Deal
- Bo Wallace Leads Ole Miss Past Pittsburgh in Compass Bowl
- Johnny Manziel Leads Texas A&M Past Oklahoma in Cotton Bowl
- Notre Dame Top Football Recruiter After Getting QB Max Redfield
- Bob O'Brien to Stay at Penn State After Browns Interview
- Mariota Shines as Oregon Tops K-State in Fiesta Bowl
- Alabama Center Barrett Jones 'Ready to Roll' vs Notre Dame
- Notre Dame and Alabama Prep for BCS Championship
- Oregon Coach Chip Kelly to Focus on Fiesta Bowl Before NFL Possibilities
- Louisville Upsets Florida 33-23 in Sugar Bowl
- Florida State Dominates Northern Illinois 31-10 in Orange Bowl
- Stanford Wins Rose Bowl 20-14 Over Wisconsin
- Northwestern Ends Bowl Drought with Win Over Mississippi State
- Thompson TD Lifts South Carolina Over Michigan in Outback Bowl
- Aaron Murray Passes Georgia Past Nebraska in Capital One Bowl
- Boyd and Catanzaro Lead Clemson to Chick-fil-A Bowl Win
- Boise State Cancels Move to Big East
- Syracuse Runs Past West Virginia in Pinstripe Bowl
- Driphus Jackson Leads Rice Over Air Force in Armed Forces Bowl
- Texas Tech Downs Minnesota in Meineke Car Care Bowl
- Virginia Tech Erases 10-Point Deficit Tops Rutgers in Russell Athletic Bowl
- Blankenship Runs for Four TDs as Ohio Wins Independence Bowl
- Texas Suspends Two Players Accused of Sexual Assault
- Brendon Kay Tosses Four TD strikes as Cincinnati Wins Belk Bowl
- David Fales Leads San Jose State to Military Bowl Win
- Garrett Gilbert Shines, SMU Crushes Fresno State in Hawaii Bowl
- Clutch Field Goals Lift LA-Lafayette to New Orleans Bowl Win
- Bortles Lifts Central Florida Past Ball State in Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl
- Kyle Van Noy leads BYU Over San Diego State in Poinsettia Bowl
- Chicago Prep Basketball Star Jabari Parker Picks Duke
- Stanford Gives Football Coach David Shaw Contract Extension
- Les Miles Most Popular College Football Coach on Twitter
- Gary Andersen Leaves Utah State to Lead Wisconsin Football Program
- Martin and Nix to Stay at Notre Dame for Another Year
- Notre Dame Caught Off-Guard by Seven Schools Bolting Big East
- Jim Boeheim Earns 900th Win as Syracuse Downs Detroit
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved