Businesses Try to Cash in on Manti Te'o Hoax
Several businesses are cashing in, or trying to cash in, on the controversial fake girlfriend scandal hounding Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o.
It was discovered by Deadspin.com that Te'o's girlfriend, whom he claimed died of leukemia, was not a real person.
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick defended his player, saying Te'o was a victim of an online hoax.
However, businessmen are looking to cash in on the controversy, using the hoax as a tool for promoting a product to make extra profit.
As first reported by ESPN's Darren Rovell, Spirit Airlines recently posted an ad on its website proclaiming: "No hoax. These fares are really low," written in Notre Dame's blue and yellow just like its famous "Play Like A Champion Today" sign.
Also, an independent baseball team, the Florence (Ky.) Freedom, announced it would have "Manti Te'o Girlfriend Bobblehead Day" on May 23.
As part of the promotion, the first 1,000 fans will get an empty bobblehead box, there will be a pretend kiss cam for fans to kiss their imaginary friends and there will be an imaginary food fight in the kids' area, as well as an air guitar contest.
"There's not a lot to do to get attention in January," Freedom general manager Josh Anderson said. "You have to find some way to get the buzz."
Anderson admitted that things might die down during that time but the team is committed to it nonetheless.
"I don't know who we'd be offending," said Anderson, who claimed he met his wife online. "It would just be isolated to the guy who made his season based off this story."
The Freedom hope that the promo would reel in real people in its 3,100-seat ballpark. Last season, the team averaged 2,000 fans per game.
- Utah Hires Dennis Erickson as Co-offensive Coordinator
- Nike Co-Founder Now Believes Freeh Report Tarnished Paterno's Reputation
- Big East Eyes Split with 'Catholic 7' before 2014 Season
- Sue Paterno Defends Late Husband in Letter to Penn State Players
- Committee of 14-20 Members to Decide BCS Four-team Football Semifinal
- Judge Rejects NCAA Motion to Stop Anti-Trust Suit Filed by Ex-Players
- Football Schools to Fight for Big East Brand
- Manti Te'o and Looking Down at The Screen Decade
- NCAA Investigates Own Enforcement Program
- Te'o Claims Sorrow For Death of 'Girlfriend' Was Real
- Florida State QBs Coach Joins Miami as Offensive Coordinator
- LSU Gives Les Miles Two-Year Extension, Pay Raise
- Diane O'Meara Speaks About Te'o girlfriend Hoax
- Manti Te'o Breaks His Silence
- Businesses Try to Cash in on Manti Te'o Hoax
- Manti Te'o Denies Having Part in Girlfriend Hoax
- Texas A&M Rewards Kevin Sumlin with Pay Increase
- Oregon Promotes Offensive Coordinator Mark Helfrich to Head Coach
- Virginia Tech Completes Football Coaching Staff Overhaul
- Mississippi Prep Wideout Laquon Treadwell Commits to Ole Miss
- Man Reportedly Confessed Manti Te'o Girlfriend Hoax to Friend
- Chip Kelly leaves Oregon to coach NFL's Eagles
- Heisman Hopeful's Hoax? Notre Dame's Te'o Girlfriend's Death is Fake
- Quarterback Logan Thomas Staying at Virginia Tech
- Standout Prep Defensive End Tim Williams Commits to Alabama
- Notre Dame Running Back Cierre Wood to Enter NFL Draft
- USC Dismisses Kevin O'Neill as Basketball Coach After 7-10 Start
- Urban Meyer Admits Ohio State Has Challenge to Keep Up with Alabama
- Trio of Alabama Juniors, Including Running Back Lacy, to Join NFL Draft
- UCLA Rewards Football Coach Jim Mora with One-Year Contract Extension
- AJ McCarron's Girlfriend Katherine Webb is BCS Game Winner
- Syracuse Promotes Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer to Head Coach
- Fighting Irish Loss is Urban Meyer's Gain
- Alabama Crushes Notre Dame for BCS National Title
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved