Tulane and East Carolina to Join Big East in 2014
New Orleans, LA
The Big East's rebuilding process got a big boost with the entry of Tulane and East Carolina in 2014.
Tulane will participate in all sports while East Carolina will join as a football-only member.
"The Big East is a distinguished collection of institutions that will be a wonderful home for Tulane," said Tulane president Scott Cowen. "We look forward to our mutual association and we are delighted to welcome the Big East to the Big Easy."
Recently, the Big East saw the exodus of big-name teams such as West Virginia, TCU, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Rutgers.
However, several teams have also joined the conference.
Temple joined this year while Boise State, San Diego State, Memphis, UCF, Houston and SMU are scheduled to join the league next year. Navy will join as a football-only member in 2015.
Tulane and East Carolina have been competing in Conference USA. In the Big East, the Green Wave will offset the loss of Rutgers to the Big Ten. Rutgers, along with Maryland, is expected to join the Big Ten in 2014.
"We thank East Carolina and charter member Tulane for all their contributions to the league and wish them well," Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said in a release. "These are unprecedented times in higher education."
The addition of Tulane and East Carolina will give the Big East 13 football members in 2014, aside from UConn, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati, Tulane, Temple, Boise State, San Diego State, UCF, SMU, Memphis, Houston and ECU.
According to sources, the Big East opted for 13 schools in 2014 because it expects either Louisville or Connecticut to leave for the ACC. The Cardinals and Huskies are the favorites to replace Maryland, which left for the Big Ten recently.
Tulane and East Carolina to Join Big East in 2014
- Western Kentucky Hires Bobby Petrino as Head Football Coach
- Colorado Tabs Mike MacIntyre as Football Coach
- Frosh Choice: Texas A&M Quarterback Manziel Captures Heisman
- Big Ten Expansion Meant to Keep Penn State
- Alvarez Makes One-Day Coaching Comeback for Wisconsin
- Football Coach Charlie Strong Stays with Louisville
- Darrell Hazell is New Purdue Football Coach
- Football Coach Mike Gundy to Stay at Oklahoma State
- Bielema Takes Arkansas Football Post; Malzahn to Coach Auburn
- Historic, Tight Heisman Trophy Race Between Manziel and Te'o
- Notre Dame and Alabama to Clash for BCS Title
- Ex-Utah Basketball Coach Rick Majerus Dies of Heart Failure at 64
- North Carolina State Hires Dave Doeren as Football Coach
- Oklahoma Shares Big 12 Title with Kansas State
- Hubert, Klein Carry No. 7 Kansas State to Big 12 Title
- Lacy, McCarron Star as Alabama Tops Georgia for SEC Title
- No. 8 Stanford Tops No. 17 UCLA, Clinches Pac-12 Football Title
- Jon Gruden Turns Down Tennessee Coaching Job
- Johnny Football Craze Gets a Soundtrack
- Monte Kiffin to Depart Southern Cal After Bowl Game
- ACC Chooses Louisville over UConn, Cincinnati
- Bill O'Brien to Stay as Penn State Football Coach
- Rivalry Week: Army vs Navy
- 2012 Big Ten Championship Preview
- 2012 PAC-12 Championship Preview
- 2012 BCS Championship Dream Matchup
- Kentucky Hires Florida State Assistant Mark Stoops as Head Coach
- Tulane and East Carolina to Join Big East in 2014
- Die-Hard BYU Basketball Fans Try to Recruit Jabari Parker
- Heisman Contender Johnny Manziel Calls First Season Incredibly Surreal
- Notre Dame's Manti for Heisman?
- Georgia QB Murray Shuns Media Ahead Of Showdown vs Alabama
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
- Martin and Florence Star as Baylor Upsets Number 1 Kansas State
- Notre Dame Beats Wake Forest 38-0
- Gillislee and Sturgis Lead Florida over Jacksonville State
- Wes Cobb Runs for Two TDs, Air Force Shuts Down Hawaii
- NCAA Extends Tennessee Football Probation Two More Years
- ACC and Orange Bowl Reach 12-Year Agreement Starting 2015
- ESPN Inks Deal to Air Sugar Bowl Through 2026
- Big East Football to Use 2-Division Format
- Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly Picks Irish as No. 1
- Manziel Passes for Two Scores, Texas A&M Stuns Alabama
- BCS Commissioners Likely to Push for Six-Bowl Format
- Mariota Throws Six TD Passes as Oregon Crushes California
- Florida Edges Louisiana-Lafayette with Jenkins Heroics
- Shaw Throws Two Scoring Strikes As South Carolina Rips Arkansas
- Nassib Shines as Syracuse Deals Louisville Its First Loss
- TCU coach Gary Patterson Trains Sights on Kansas State
- Kentucky to Replace Football Coach Joker Phillips at Season's End
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved