Notre Dame and Alabama to Clash for BCS Title
Living up to their billing, No. 1 Notre Dame and No. 2 Alabama will clash for the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) national championship on January 7.
"These two storied programs, this year's undisputed top two teams, will square off in a must-see event," BCS executive director Bill Hancock said.
The Fighting Irish booked a spot in the BCS national championship by finishing the season undefeated, capping their perfect campaign with a victory over rival Southern California.
Alabama followed suit with a 32-28 victory over Georgia in the Southeastern Conference title game.
Hancock also announced "intriguing and exciting" full slate of BCS games, including the showdown between Stanford and Wisconsin for the Rose Bowl on January 1 at Pasadena, California.
Florida State will clash with Northern Illinois for the Orange Bowl also on New Year's Day at Miami Florida.
Northern Illinois earned a spot in the Orange Bowl with a win over Kent State in the MAC Championship while Florida State advanced after beating Georgia Tech in the ACC championship showdown.
Florida, ranked third in the BCS standings, will be the heavy favorite when it takes on Louisville in the Sugar Bowl on January 2.
In the Fiesta Bowl, Big 12 Champion Kansas State will take on Oregon and its high-octane offense on January at Glendale, Arizona.
Oklahoma and Texas A&M will clash in the Cotton Bowl on January 4 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
All in all, 35 bowl games will be played in the next few weeks leading to the national championship showdown.
"We have a tremendous lineup of other bowls to once again cap off the best regular season in sports," Hancock added.
BCS Bowls: First Look
- Western Kentucky Hires Bobby Petrino as Head Football Coach
- Colorado Tabs Mike MacIntyre as Football Coach
- Frosh Choice: Texas A&M Quarterback Manziel Captures Heisman
- Big Ten Expansion Meant to Keep Penn State
- Alvarez Makes One-Day Coaching Comeback for Wisconsin
- Football Coach Charlie Strong Stays with Louisville
- Darrell Hazell is New Purdue Football Coach
- Football Coach Mike Gundy to Stay at Oklahoma State
- Bielema Takes Arkansas Football Post; Malzahn to Coach Auburn
- Historic, Tight Heisman Trophy Race Between Manziel and Te'o
- Notre Dame and Alabama to Clash for BCS Title
- Ex-Utah Basketball Coach Rick Majerus Dies of Heart Failure at 64
- North Carolina State Hires Dave Doeren as Football Coach
- Oklahoma Shares Big 12 Title with Kansas State
- Hubert, Klein Carry No. 7 Kansas State to Big 12 Title
- Lacy, McCarron Star as Alabama Tops Georgia for SEC Title
- No. 8 Stanford Tops No. 17 UCLA, Clinches Pac-12 Football Title
- Jon Gruden Turns Down Tennessee Coaching Job
- Johnny Football Craze Gets a Soundtrack
- Monte Kiffin to Depart Southern Cal After Bowl Game
- ACC Chooses Louisville over UConn, Cincinnati
- Bill O'Brien to Stay as Penn State Football Coach
- Rivalry Week: Army vs Navy
- 2012 Big Ten Championship Preview
- 2012 PAC-12 Championship Preview
- 2012 BCS Championship Dream Matchup
- Kentucky Hires Florida State Assistant Mark Stoops as Head Coach
- Tulane and East Carolina to Join Big East in 2014
- Die-Hard BYU Basketball Fans Try to Recruit Jabari Parker
- Heisman Contender Johnny Manziel Calls First Season Incredibly Surreal
- Notre Dame's Manti for Heisman?
- Georgia QB Murray Shuns Media Ahead Of Showdown vs Alabama
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved